Re: Which version of MoCA do I have?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

That's odd.

For speeds above 100 mbps an ethernet connection is required between the ONT & the router, but the STB still uses coax no matter the speed. Why can't the STB be connected by ethernet instead of coax?

The ONT MoCA port is version 1.1 so it doesn’t do the speeds over 100 mbps consistently. Thats just the limitation of the WAN connection over coax. 

Theoretically they could be fed by ethernet but the STBs have QAM tuners not IP so they need coax.

Also the majority of houses are not wired with ethernet. They are with coax. Plus routers have only have 4 LAN ports so then between customer hardwired devices then your adding switches into the mix. It’s just not practical. 

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Well, I learned something !

Well, I hope that the powers-that-be at Verizon will come out with state-of-the-art STBs that support ethernet & wifi.

I'm researching cutting the cord & I can't help but wonder if my ONT is up to the task of streaming. I know that the streaming devices support wifi.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

Well, I learned something !

Well, I hope that the powers-that-be at Verizon will come out with state-of-the-art STBs that support ethernet & wifi.

I'm researching cutting the cord & I can't help but wonder if my ONT is up to the task of streaming. I know that the streaming devices support wifi.

I'm sure eventually they will. But as far as using coax and MoCA I think that is here to stay. Verizon is not the only provider that uses MoCA. Cable, DirecTV, and Dish Network all use MoCA with their STBs. Even the newer TiVos uses it.

The ONT you have is fully up to the task. It supports gigabit speeds. If you have cutting the cord in mind. 25 mbps is all that is needed for one 4k stream. These gigabit speeds that are offered are way overboard. 

0 Likes