Which website(s) you normally use to test Internet speed?
KLuong

I had my triple play installed today so I ran speedtest on 2 different websites. The tests have done basically at the same time but the results are very different. Can anybody explain why?

- https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/routertest.aspx

- http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6803229176

0 Likes
Re: Which website(s) you normally use to test Internet speed?
KLuong

I've just realized the results are similar on my wifi-connected devices on verizon speed test but significant drop down on speedtest.net.

No way Verizon, my wifi-connected devices will never reach 900Mbs. Your test tool is lying to me.

0 Likes
Anthony91
Enthusiast - Level 3

because verizon speedtest is a controlled environment without outside interference like other networks slow backbone or over used lines

i normally will use the ISP site because of what i said  sometimes speedtest gives me better results but i know i have to use verizon speedtest if i want the issue to be looked at because its the same system the network techs look at when they try to troubleshoot a slow speed 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Surprising that you are getting that level of speed via WiFi.

Verizon (like most ISPs) will only guarantee your access speed to their network.

Verizon only accepts results of poor performance if test is done via a wired connection to speedtest.verizon.net.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The router test linked is designed to ask the router itself to perform a speed test to a Verizon speed test server. The speeds seen there are simply reflective of that. Device speed test is between the device you're visiting the web page on and the speed test server. So on that note, the test isn't lying, it's just being done in less conventional / typical way which is also a bit more of a controlled environment.

Personally I've been using both the beta.speedtest.net site and DSLReports.com/speedtest site. Both can be particularly heavy on requiring that someone have a fast SSD or RAMDisk for the browser to cache data to, so just another factor to keep in mind. Many mechanical drives after all is said and done will Max around 400-500Mbps when all is said and done (including antivirus overhead).