Who Owns The Router?
42Jack
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi and Happy New Year to All!  Just upgraded to FIOS Quantum Gateway; "purchased" the new Quantum router from Verizon and installed myself.  Thanks again to those who assisted me (prior thread) with advice on set up.  I'm getting messages to return my old ActionTec router to Verizon, which I also "purchased" from Verizon at initial install 2-years ago.  I'm confused ... who owns the routers that I thought I "purchased" from Verizon?  Will I get a credit if I return the ActionTec router to them?  Thank you ... appreciate your thoughts.

0 Likes
Re: Who Owns The Router?
jonjones1
Legend

@42Jack wrote:

Hi and Happy New Year to All!  Just upgraded to FIOS Quantum Gateway; "purchased" the new Quantum router from Verizon and installed myself.  Thanks again to those who assisted me (prior thread) with advice on set up.  I'm getting messages to return my old ActionTec router to Verizon, which I also "purchased" from Verizon at initial install 2-years ago.  I'm confused ... who owns the routers that I thought I "purchased" from Verizon?  Will I get a credit if I return the ActionTec router to them?  Thank you ... appreciate your thoughts.

Any router you paid outright for is owned by you. If you pay a monthly fee for the router then it is owned by Verizon. Call 1-800-Verizon and tell them that the router was paid for in full when you first had your install. And prove it via having them see you don't pay any monthly fee for its use.

42Jack
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much!  Gotta' say ... you folks on this forum are awesome, and so very responsive!!  Thanks to all, and hope all have a very happy and safe new year!!   --42Jack

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any router you paid outright for is owned by you. .... And prove it via having them see you don't pay any monthly fee for its use.

Certainly if OP paid for the original router its his.  However it cannot proved by showing you are not paying a monthly fee.  Many of us have routers that were given to us by Verizon on the original install, BUT they are still owned by Verizon.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

Any router you paid outright for is owned by you. .... And prove it via having them see you don't pay any monthly fee for its use.

Certainly if OP paid for the original router its his.  However it cannot proved by showing you are not paying a monthly fee.  Many of us have routers that were given to us by Verizon on the original install, BUT they are still owned by Verizon.

Unfortunately if any company, person or Verizon Fios gives you a "free router" it is considered the customers. The reason behind this is first no charges for the use is placed on a customer account. Secondly it is a gift in the sense they get a contract out of you for xxx dollars. The lock in contract price more than covers the router.

if a customer buys the router outright, it is his/her property via terms of sale.

if Verizon Fios tells you up front you can pay a monthly fee to USE THE ROUTER

the router is understandably the property of Verizon Fios.

this is not rocket science. Found this 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29555505-Does-Verizon-own-the-router-if-you-were-an-early-customer...

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The routers, and stb that Verizon used at install, unless you paid for them, are still Verizon's.  I assure you thy are often very insistent that you pay for the router or return it when you close your account. 

Ask anyone who had to deal with them after they closed an account.  They may not want some of the older routers back, but they wanted my Actiontec (version I) back when I closed my NY account.

Even Frontier, which took over my Florida Verizon account, is aware that I have TWO routers (one from the upgrade to quantum service) that they "own".

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

The routers, and stb that Verizon used at install, unless you paid for them, are still Verizon's.  I assure you thy are often very insistent that you pay for the router or return it when you close your account. 

Ask anyone who had to deal with them after they closed an account.  They may not want some of the older routers back, but they wanted my Actiontec (version I) back when I closed my NY account.

Even Frontier, which took over my Florida Verizon account, is aware that I have TWO routers (one from the upgrade to quantum service) that they "own".

I always purchase so that is not a problem. However my statement of :

"Any router you paid outright for is owned by you. .... And prove it via having them see you don't pay any monthly fee for its use".

• meant exactly that. Paid for outright, not given or leased. So that in that statement shows to be accurate. My not paying a fee is just one instance that the router is mine. The other is the purchase receipt I always retain just in case I have that who own it conversation on termination of my account.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just because you don't pay a fee doesn't mean the router is yours.

A large number of people got routers prior to the start of the montlhy rental fee.
Those routers belong to Verizon as well.

The only ones that belong to you are ones you purchased.

Anything else belongs to Verizon.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

Just because you don't pay a fee doesn't mean the router is yours.

A large number of people got routers prior to the start of the montlhy rental fee.
Those routers belong to Verizon as well.

The only ones that belong to you are ones you purchased.

Anything else belongs to Verizon.

Read the reply. I said if paid for. Not if given. And a customer can prove ownership via showing they pay no rental fees and have a receipt. I am aware of the old days. This is the new days!

0 Likes