Why No FIOS Upper West Side NYC?
LiquidFusion
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why No FIOS Upper West Side NYC? I can't get any indication from Verizon that FIOS exists in NYC.....

What's the story?

Re: Why No FIOS Upper West Side NYC?
Mike_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Hello LiquidFusion,

FiOS availability varies from address to address with in a locality.  Portions of NYC do have FiOS presently.  You can check availability of a location from the website http://bit.ly/ayp50Q to see what is available for a particular location.

FrancAndAl
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have been waiting for FIOS on the upper west side for almost six years.  The reason: Time Warner is absolutely HORRIBLE!  Thankfully, Verizon is offering internet service and phone service on the upper west side and the difference is fabulous! We never have any outages with Verizon's internet or phone but we are still experiencing the crappy service with our cable from Time Warner.

Is there ANYONE at Verizon that can give us some timeframe as to when we will get FIOS on the upper west side of Manhattan?

LiquidFusion
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently upgraded to 7-15 mbps DSL High Speed Internet - getting 9 mbps service. As of 11-19-2011 - FIOS is still not available to Upper West Side residents.

0 Likes
MikeyP1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Dear Mike (of Verizon Support),

Your reply regarding why Verizon has thus far failed to provide FIOS on the Upper West Side is devoid of content and is inappropriately unapologetic.

The fact is that there is no acceptable excuse for Verizon's failure to serve its Upper West Side customers in the manner they are entitled by the immediate roll-out without even one month further procrastination through the installation of fiber optics throughout all of the Upper West Side.

Fiber optics makes the most sense in affluent and densely populated communities, making the Upper West Side, objectively, one of the most desirable neighborhoods in all of the United States for the commercial viability and profitability of fiber optic broadband.

Please do not insult our intelligence by referring us to your website or by advising us that some neighborhoods have been installed in Manhattan and some have not.

The time for excuses, procrastination and spokesman's pablum is long past.

Give us our fiber now!

Sincerely,

MikeyP

Upper West Side resident

hstokar

August 2012 and still no FIOS on the Upper West Side.  No answers from Verizon on specific plans.   What a way to run a business!

0 Likes
PaulTee1
Enthusiast - Level 1

As Harvard's prestigous Nieman Foundation has documented at bit.ly/JPwO82, the outstanding shareholder value provided by Verizon's wireless services precludes further investment in fixed-ROI hardwire services. The legacy unlimited data plans currently offered by the Company will in time be converted to the superior 4G pay-by-byte model, ensuring continued best-in-class shareholder value. Verizon's long dedication to focusing exclusively on shareholder value remains the Company's one and only priority.

stottgl

I know a few people on the UWS that have FIOS.  Fiber has already been installed on virtually every block in Manhattan.  The problem is that your building owner/manager/condo-coop board needs to have an agreement with Verizon so they can install fiber in the building.  Some buildings have an exclusive agreement with Time Warner that prevent Verizon from installing FIOS.  Take a look at the website below to view the buildings in your neighborhood that are already wired.

http://communities.verizon.com/fiosavail/

Talk to your building manager and make them aware of your desire to have FIOS.  Ask them to contact Verizon to get the ball rolling.

0 Likes
DBA212

Same issue on the Upper East Side. I have been told for over 3 years that it should be about "6 months" even though several other buildings on my block have it. The statements by Verizon that it is the building owners/landlords fault is totally bogus since my landlord owns several buildings in the neighborhood and has tried repeatedly to get it to no avail. Like most NYers i am so tired of Time Warner Cable's control and lack of service in this city and now with the TWC/CBS dispute it further proves how little respect they have for their customers. Verizon is really losing out by not being there when so many people would be switching to them because of the dispute.

My internet (albeit slower than FiOS), iPhone, land line and iPad are all currently with Verizon and all I want to do is give them more of my money so I really don't get it?!?!?!

0 Likes