Re: Why are certain websites really slow unless I use a VPN?
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Honestly I wish u were as well versed in the technology and topic as you think you are.

http://www.internetphenomena.com/2014/07/video-provider-and-vpns/

That isn't why vpn's fix the problem for a small amount of users. The information is our there. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you care to understand it. Cognitive dissonance?
0 Likes
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
Honestly I wish u were as well versed in the technology and topic as you think you are.

That isn't why vpn's fix the problem for a small amount of users. The information is our there. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you care to understand it. Cognitive dissonance?

I'm not having much luck finding the article right now, but if i find it i'll link it. I did read an article a few weeks ago, which if i remember correctly was posted by netflix itself, explaining that the issue was that verizon needed to install some additional hardware to increase the bandwidth between netflix and verizon and that verizon refused to do so even though this equipment only costs a few thousand dollars, which for a company of it's size, is peanuts for verizon.

Not only that, but netflix offered to buy and install the equipment on it's own without it costing verizon anything, and verizon still refused. 

It might have also been level 3 who said all this rather then netflix. If i remember correctly, the issue was basically as simple as installing some additional network cards so that that could increase the bandwidth between level3 and verizon. again, the cost was trivial and someone else (netflix or level3) offered to pay for it. 

So unless that was a lie, I don't see how this is anything other then verizon's attemp to get someone to pay for the same data twice - essentially they are charging you coming and going.

Personally, i like the way google handles this sort of issue on it's fiber network - they just let netflix stick a couple of servers that hosts netflix content directly in their facility so that all video streams directly over google's network. And they do this at no charge to netflix. 

Rather doubt verizon or any of the other major consumer ISP's will do this.

EDIT: i found the link - and it was level 3 which posted this an offered to foot the bill and do the equipment install.

http://blog.level3.com/global-connectivity/verizons-accidental-mea-culpa/

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
http://publicpolicy.verizon.com/blog/entry/level-3s-selective-amnesia-on-peering

Most people have a short attention span, and Level 3, with their publicity stunt was counting on that.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

What does this have to do with your erroneous statement that changing DNS would fix Netfix streaming issues?

There is no need tro attack people and change the subject when you are dead wrong.

0 Likes
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
http://publicpolicy.verizon.com/blog/entry/level-3s-selective-amnesia-on-peering

Most people have a short attention span, and Level 3, with their publicity stunt was counting on that.

I'm sorry - but that's a weak response for several reasons.

1. it would have cost verizon a few thousand dollars to solve the problem. A few thousand dollars is peanuts to a company the size of verizon

2. level3 offered to buy the equipment AND install it - so it actually would have cost verizon nothing, and verizon still refused to do this

3. verizon says they are solving the problem by plugging in netflix's content servers directly into verizon's network. It makes no mention of expanding it's own network. Which means it's own network is capable of handling the additional traffic.  So why couldn't verizon just let level3 pay for and install the equipment?

4. on a small side note - google also allows netflix to install their content servers directly on the google fiber network. But with one small difference - they aren't charging netflix for this, they are doing it for free. Server hosting costs are pretty neglible

So how is level3 trying to get a free ride if they offered to pay for and install the needed equipment? 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

O_o 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Do you really think that is all it costs to increase bandwidth for hundreds of thousands of subscribers streaming HD and super HD video?? 

If that is the case then why is anyone messing around with fios? 

0 Likes
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Do you really think that is all it costs to increase bandwidth for hundreds of thousands of subscribers streaming HD and super HD video?? 

If that is the case then why is anyone messing around with fios? 

I feel like you're avoiding the question now.

yes, that's all it costs for a couple of network cards even ones handling that amount of bandwidth.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Heck, let's go into business together then.    I can't get that kind of deal on free bandwidth, and if you can then we'll be rich by the end of the year. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also.  I'm not avoiding a question.   It was answered by level3 themselves. Who better to answer that than the parties in question? 

0 Likes