Why are my fios set top boxes running off my wifi? Doesn't that slow down my connection?
esseless

Why are my fios set top boxes running off my wifi?  Doesn't that slow down my connection?

Just doesn't seem right

0 Likes
Re: Why are my fios set top boxes running off my wifi? Doesn't that slow down my connection?
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

They're not. They're running through coaxial.

0 Likes
Re: Why are my fios set top boxes running off my wifi? Doesn't that slow down my connection?
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Wait your FIOS boxes run off WiFi? I don't think that's accurate.

If your modem/ router is disconnected you lose tv guide and on demand options which use an extremely small amount of bandwidth, but your set top box itself receives its data directly from the COAX cable. (even in the modem situation the data is delivered over COAX and not via WiFi). 

0 Likes
esseless

When I ran "whoisonmy ywifi", both of my set top boxes show  up on my wifi network. I was pretty surprised. 

Since I can get fios tv without internet, why do the STB's need to access on my wifi?

0 Likes
esseless

Sorry. typo.

The STB show up when I ran whoisonmywifi.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@esseless wrote:

When I ran "whoisonmy ywifi", both of my set top boxes show  up on my wifi network. I was pretty surprised. 

Since I can get fios tv without internet, why do the STB's need to access on my wifi?

The app is mis-identifying them. Perhaps because they are considered media devices. Perhaps that application simply searches for all devices on the network and lists them out?

FiOS TV requires Internet in a sense. Even if you don't order Internet service, you still receive a FiOS router. The router won't give Internet, though. The router will simply pull an internal IP that only allows the Set Top Boxes to download guide and VOD information. Basically, it's walled off. This is by design of how the network works. It's that, or Verizon has to go the way of the Cable companies and install Cable modems (MoCa WAN chips) in each of the boxes which adds to the cost of the boxes.

anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

@esseless wrote:

Sorry. typo.

The STB show up when I ran whoisonmywifi.

I don't know how the app works, but are you sure it's not just listing every device on your network?

esseless

Thanks for the explanation.   

0 Likes