Re: Why aren't the faster Quantum speeds available to me?
KramarK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

@sangs wrote:

This is really starting to annoy me. Nobody - and I mean, nobody - that I've spoken with on the phone can give me a straight answer. All I want to know is this:

1) Is GPON available in my area?

2) If it is, can I get my ONT swapped out for one that can give me the higher speeds?

I'm bascially trying to give Verizon more of my money. If I can't, that's fine, but can somebody that draws a paycheck from them please give me some answers? I'm not exaggerating when I say I've spoken to six phone reps over the past four days. I'm not sure any of them knew what an ONT, GPON or BPON is.

From my research and the problems I have had the past week I would be willing to bet you're in the same situation as me which is a Central Office that is hybrid GPON/BPON.  A technician was at my house today and told me the CO for where I live is hybrid GPON/BPON but that my specific geographical area within the CO is being serviced by BPON equipment.  (Which makes sense since my neighborhood has had FiOS since 2005). They are upgrading the CO to all GPON but the time frame for completion is unknown.  When GPON is available all I will need is a ONT swap. 

I don't mind having 75/35 since all of my devices are wireless except for one and I would probably never see anywhere close to 75/35 on a wireless device with the current standards in place anyway (not to mention just general signal degradation).  Also, most commercial web servers aren't pushing out anything higher than 100 anyway.  Now if you have multiple users/devices in your household you might use up the whole 150 or 300 bandwidth but I think for the average household 75/35 is enough for now.

0 Likes