Why can't I charge my Iphone 4s on the actiontec router rev I?
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

I mean with rev E I could charge my IPhone and with the rev I I can't? Why can't I charge my iphone with the actiontec rev i. I mean the actiontec rev I have 2 blue USB sockets so many usb 3 but it won't charge my Iphone 4s why not when the rev E could? The usb light lights up but no charging to my 4s why not and when I take my iphone 4s from the charger the lights go out but with the charger still on there but not my iphone on the charger.

0 Likes
Re: Why can't I charge my Iphone 4s on the actiontec router rev I?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Revision I ActionTec routers have USB3 ports. If the ports don't include headers for USB2, you won't be able to charge your iPhone as USB3 is not backwards compatible with USB2, like USB2 was with USB1. The pinout is entirely different. Alternatively, if the ActionTec has USB2 pinouts and backwards compatibility, as it likely does, it could likely not be putting out enough power for the iPhone to accept it as a charge. The router could also be seeing it as some device that requires an unloaded driver, and thus does not give power to the device since USB ports can be controlled in that regard, too.

I'm just throwing this out there. Perhaps someone who has a Rev. I will chime in shortly.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

so whats the point of the usb feature on the router? Is it for printers or external hard drives? I mean my external HD is usb 3 but it is backwards compitible with usb 2 on my computer and laptop.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@skyliner34 wrote:

so whats the point of the usb feature on the router? Is it for printers or external hard drives? I mean my external HD is usb 3 but it is backwards compitible with usb 2 on my computer and laptop.

It's supposed to be for printing and file sharing via the router, but at the moment there's no firmware support for it. They're only useful for giving power.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@skyliner34 wrote:

I mean with rev E I could charge my IPhone and with the rev I I can't? Why can't I charge my iphone with the actiontec rev i. I mean the actiontec rev I have 2 blue USB sockets so many usb 3 but it won't charge my Iphone 4s why not when the rev E could? The usb light lights up but no charging to my 4s why not and when I take my iphone 4s from the charger the lights go out but with the charger still on there but not my iphone on the charger.

I can charge my Android phone from the Rev. I USB ports. Perhaps the USB cable you are using does not have the right pins to connect to the USB 3 ports and mine does? But my Android charges just fine (sorry, don't have an iPhone to test with).

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

I don't know what you mean by "right pins". I switched the action back to my rev E since I can't charge my iphone and the rev E can.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@skyliner34 wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "right pins". I switched the action back to my rev E since I can't charge my iphone and the rev E can.

I really don't have an answer, other than USB 3 is different, the standard includes 5 more wires in the cable and associated pins in the connectors at each end of the cable. As far as I know the power connector pins are the same for both USB 2 and USB 3, but as I said, my Android phone powers just fine from my Rev. I router, just as it does from the USB 2 ports on my older Actiontec, laptop and DVR. So the USB 3 ports on my Rev. I router most definitely provide power to my Android phone.

Do you have any other devices that offer a USB 3 port that you could try to charge from? Or maybe some other phone or device that you could try on your Rev. I router? If not, maybe you could borrow another cable just to see if your iPhone will charge from the Rev. I router.

Of course it is also possible the USB 3 ports on your router are defective or not powered up for some reason. Do you have a neighbor or friend with a Rev. I that you could test with, or maybe a Verizon store nearby that you could see if it will work there?

I'm sorry, but that is all I can think of for now. Hope you can get it figured out.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes