Why can't I ssh into my new router?
corbulon
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used to be able to ssh into my old FiOS router, but now that I got a new one (without antennas), attempts to ssh time out -- from the same internal computer, from which I can reach the same router's web-interface without a problem:

% ssh -p 8022 -v admin@router
OpenSSH_7.2p2, OpenSSL 1.0.1t-freebsd  3 May 2016
debug1: Reading configuration data /home/XX/.ssh/config
debug1: /home/XX/.ssh/config line 1: Applying options for *
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Connecting to router.lan [192.168.1.1] port 8022.
debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.1 port 8022: Operation timed out
ssh: connect to host router.lan port 8022: Operation timed out

The ssh ports -- both 22 and 8022 -- are enabled, according to the router's web-interface:

What's happening?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I ssh into my new router?
corbulon
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, it turns out, that -- in addition to specifying the ports in the above screenshot, one also has to enable local administration under Advanced->Local Administration. Thanks for making it "easy", Actiontek...

Once you enable it, you can login via ssh with the same credentials you use through the web-interface (such as "admin" and the password printed on the side of the router).

It does not appear, like you could add authorized_keys, however...

Once logged-in, however, your options are annoyingly limited. There is not even a ps(1) command to look, what processes are currently running. No vi either...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
corbulon
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, it turns out, that -- in addition to specifying the ports in the above screenshot, one also has to enable local administration under Advanced->Local Administration. Thanks for making it "easy", Actiontek...

Once you enable it, you can login via ssh with the same credentials you use through the web-interface (such as "admin" and the password printed on the side of the router).

It does not appear, like you could add authorized_keys, however...

Once logged-in, however, your options are annoyingly limited. There is not even a ps(1) command to look, what processes are currently running. No vi either...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably considered a consumer grade router.

Adding those capabilities adds code.

0 Likes
corbulon
Enthusiast - Level 3
Adding those capabilities adds code.

The router uses Busybox Linux-distribution internally. Busybox has all those utilities and more. One would have to go out of one's way to disable them... The only possible justification is storage-space -- removing additional code saves room. But we live in the second decade of the 21st century -- what's a few megabytes? OpenWRT, for example, offers a much more complete command-line without any loss of functionality...

0 Likes