Why did the Fios instalation technican cut my in house coaxial line?
Nephrahim
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has been bugging me for a few hours.  As part of the instalation process the fios technical physicaly sniped the coaxial cable in my house near the entrance at my door.  At the time, I didn't think much of it, after all, I was going to have Fios in an hour.

But I haven't cancled my RCN yet, and more to the point, I didn't tell the guy I haden't cancled it.  He took it upon himself to snip the line running into my house that was still providing a service, and I can't understand why.  Had I thought more on it when it happened I would have been really upset, and am kicking myself for only thinking of it now.

So, I was just wondering if anyone knew WHY he did this.  It must be a policy thing at some level...  but I can't find any info on it, and I can't be the only one to have considered it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why did the Fios instalation technican cut my in house coaxial line?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

He probably did it to prevent bigger problems later.

Most FiOS installations re-use the in home coax, I suspect your home is no different.  If the RCN line gets connected into your in home coax network when FiOS is connected as well, all sorts of "bad things" can happen.  Neither signal will work and the FiOS signal will now be pushed out to your neighborhood potentially messing up other RCN subscribers. 

By clipping the cable, the installer prevents anyone from reconnecting a "loose" connection causing an unhappy customer, angry non-customers and potentially the involvement of the PUC (government).

Have Fun.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know lots of cable installers do this and also cut antenna connections.  They really never should unless you tell them to.  Many people use multiple  services and certainly many keep antenna connections.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

He probably did it to prevent bigger problems later.

Most FiOS installations re-use the in home coax, I suspect your home is no different.  If the RCN line gets connected into your in home coax network when FiOS is connected as well, all sorts of "bad things" can happen.  Neither signal will work and the FiOS signal will now be pushed out to your neighborhood potentially messing up other RCN subscribers. 

By clipping the cable, the installer prevents anyone from reconnecting a "loose" connection causing an unhappy customer, angry non-customers and potentially the involvement of the PUC (government).

Have Fun.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What gs0b stated. If two providers try to use the same set of coaxial cables, unless you have Satellite TV and Cable Internet where the two services can be filtered out / split from one another you're going to be messing up a lot of customers. In the case of antennas, they do that so you're not causing some serious issues that will attract some unwanted government visitors to your home.

Ultimately, be glad they cut the cable rather than make a mistake. Things happen.

Nephrahim
Enthusiast - Level 1

Still seems a little odd to me, but at least knowing he had a legitmate reason calms my anger about the whole issue, thank you.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smith6612 wrote:

What gs0b stated. If two providers try to use the same set of coaxial cables, unless you have Satellite TV and Cable Internet where the two services can be filtered out / split from one another you're going to be messing up a lot of customers. In the case of antennas, they do that so you're not causing some serious issues that will attract some unwanted government visitors to your home.

Ultimately, be glad they cut the cable rather than make a mistake. Things happen.

I've had them(cable not Verizon) cut a seperate antenna wire that was entering the house and going directly to TV (I had satellite before cable).  The STB's being connected differently  I made them come back and replace the wire.  A Friend had them cut a external FM antenna connection that went to his receiver  Yes there are reasons to not connect both through the same wiring system, but the random cutting of wires is not something they should do without asking you.

0 Likes