Why do I only get 35/15 on a 35/35 plan?
Sonia
I switched to the new 35/35, I get 35 down perfectly, but upload speed goes from 5 to 15, always far from the 35 I should be getting. I did tests with the Verizon router, my router and even my computer connected directly to the ONT, and I always get the same results. I called Verizon and they said the rest of my bandwidth is used by TV services and On Demand. Is that the case? Is anybody getting real 35 uploads? Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: Why do I only get 35/15 on a 35/35 plan?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you run the Verizon optimzer?

Think verizon are having you on with that statement.  I have a 25/20 configuration and typically get 25/22.  You are paying for an internet connection that is not meant to include whatever minimal traffic is being used by the TV signal that I really doubt comes down as an IP signal anyway.

If you really want to try it power off all your STBs and then run the speedtest.

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

First of all, most speedtest websites are not capable of giving accurate results for fios.

Secondly, one of the factors affecting speed on a pc which has a wired connection(cat5) is RWIN value of the pc.

How to check RWIN value?

1] Go to Speedguide.

2] On left hand panel on the website there is a link for TCP/IP analyzer which will give you the RWIn value.

3] It should be more than 100,000. If not the pc needs to be optimized.

If you have windows xp try optimizing the pc. http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/General%20Support/Top%20Questions/QuestionsOne...

If you have windows vista, contact microsoft to get the hotfix to increase the RWIN value on the pc.

0 Likes
Sonia
Thanks for your help. I'm running Windows 7. When I run Verizon Optimizer it say it needs to optimize Windows and it does so (?). After reboot, same speeds. Sometime I get 4, sometimes 8 and once I got 16, but never anything close to the 35 I should be getting. abhi_col, I followed your advice and links (thanks) and my RWin is 66792. Can that be the issue? Can it be easily changed in Windows 7? I actually do a lot of heavy uploading for my job, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Sonia wrote:
Thanks for your help. I'm running Windows 7. When I run Verizon Optimizer it say it needs to optimize Windows and it does so (?). After reboot, same speeds. Sometime I get 4, sometimes 8 and once I got 16, but never anything close to the 35 I should be getting. abhi_col, I followed your advice and links (thanks) and my RWin is 66792. Can that be the issue? Can it be easily changed in Windows 7? I actually do a lot of heavy uploading for my job, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

abhi_col hit on most of the probable issue. Many speedtest sites have problems accuratly testing the upload speeds so that is part of it but not the whole issue. And from your description you may have other issues. the TV service is on a seperate internet channel so it does not affect your internet speeds. So someone was just giving you a bogus excuse on that.

With Windows 7, there has been a speed issue identified on another thread..... it begs the question. What Anti Virus service do you use? Another user posted that he was having speed issues and tracked it down to AVG anti virus and Windows 7. Once he removed the AVG the speeds were fine. reinstall AVG and the speeds tanked again. So he had to switch AV products. Maybe you are seeing something similar?

0 Likes
vcorde
Enthusiast - Level 3

You need to run IE in administrator mode to get Fios Speed Optimizer to function. 1-From the start menu, locate Internet Explorer and right click it, then click "Run as Administrator"  .

2-When IE opens go to Fios speed test page  http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/java/

run the test and then click on optimizer, when it completes, restart the computer,run IE normally and re-test.

If it does not work at first, let the optimizer reset the windows settings and start from #1 again

0 Likes
DRAZY

Hi Sonia,

I'm having the same problem as you and mine appeared to start happening before I upgraded.

Back in August I switched my residential 25/15 FIOS Internet to to FIOS Business 25/15 (needed the static IPs).

Since August I've consistent speed at or exceeding 25/15 (sometimes 27/18). This past weekend I noticed my speeds were dropping on on the up side but always consistent on the down side. My download speeds have never change (always 25Mbps or more) but uploads hovered around 7-10Mbps. I did everything you mentioned as process of elimination. When plugged directly in the ONT the speed decrease on the upside remain. I thought upgrading to 35/35 yesterday would fix the problem, I was hoping someone at Verizon would see the issue and fix it when I upgraded. I was wrong.

I got the 35/35 upgrade - my download speeds are consistent 35Mbps - 37Mbps. My download speeds are around 15 - 17Mbps. I called the tech support and they sent a service rep out on the same day. He spent all of 5 hours optimizing, connecting directly to my ONT, testing connection from my Westel router, even replacing the ONT. Still nothing improved. I can tell you for sure that the problem falls flat in the lap of Verizon and they need to fess up quickly.  I'm sure this issue is not isolated to just you and I, they're are others that are probably experiencing what we are. I'm calling support back in the morning and letting them know the issue hasn't been resolved.

0 Likes
DRAZY

Don't fall for trickery in believing the browser optimization if is end all fix all to your issues. I have a remote site I use for my work that has a OC3 connect (OC3 can achieve 155Mbps throughput) and I'm having the same results.  Luckily for me I work in the IT industry with some fairly good data pipes to test my speeds, unlike the average user.

As I mentioned in my earlier post.....I started noticing the speed decreases over this past weekend and the tech hinted to me there have been some issues with provisioning of 25/15 and up but thought the issues may have been resolved. I think they're still lingering.  The speed tests I've run personally outside of the typical test on (DSLReports, Speakeasy, Speedguide) all confirm that there is something wrong with Verizon's provisioning schema, interconnects or bad planning.

I've been happy with my service up until now but this stinks.

0 Likes
DRAZY

Another thing I'd like to mention.

The claim that using an optimizer is somehow going to increase or fix this problem is absolutely absurd. Another ridiculous remark is about these speed test sites not being able to accurately gauge your speeds. Notice that during these tests your download speeds are their upload speed, your upload speeds are their downloads speeds. So testing your downloads and you're getting 35Mbps clearly proves these sites have adequate bandwidth to provide near accurate numbers. In all my technical career I have never seen nor heard of a site or user with faster up speeds than down speeds. Have any of you?

Explain to me how the technician at my home yesterday with his own optimized Windows XP laptop still had the same problem...while directly connected to my ONT. I should also mention that my home is in a brand new community with CAT6 installed throughout the home.  We can easily eliminate old/poor cabling...especially since I was getting 25/15 in consistently before this past weekend. This issue persists on all of the operating systems I run at home - Windows 2008,XP,Vista,7. Mac OSX Snow Leopard, FreeBSD, Ubuntu Linux.  There was no excuses the technician coule make after his visit with me as I'm a very proficient computer user. He actually thanked me for making for being so resourceful and making his job easier.

So...the ball is in Verizon's court. They need to get this issue sorted.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@Sonia wrote:

RWin could be part of the problem... not sure if the fault isn't Verizon's to a large extent also though.

I keep my RWin at 1045440 (I have 20/5 btw, but not sure the provided speed makes any difference with the RWin setting).

To adjust your settings, go to DrTCP and they will give you a tool to do it with:

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Once you run the .exe there it will give you your values.

Then where it says "online tweak tester" click on it and run that, and it will give you recommendations for your optimal settings.  Once you go back to the .exe and run it again to insert the new values you will need to restart for the settings to take effect.  See how much it helps your speed and performance, ok?

P.S.  Just make sure you have your Ethernet Networking Controller(s) selected in the drop-down menu under Adapter Settings when you apply your changes, or you may be doing it to the IEEE thingy or something else instead.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes