Why does FiOS give such a lousy router???
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

Using the cruddy Actiontec MI424-WR router that came from Verizon FiOS, I was getting 15/15 internet speeds over WiFi.  This was for the 50/25 plan I signed up for.  If I hardwired to the router I got 58/39.  So Verizon does deliver the speed they promise, but the router stinks big time.

I researched solutions online and saw all kinds of replies, with some saying due to the limitations of WiFi technology, there is nothing Verizon can do about the slow speeds over that connection.

Just to see, I turned off the wireless on my MI424-WR and hooked up an old Cisco E2500 that we brought us when we relocated from Japan with the military.  Now my WiFi speed is 58/38. 

So, Verizon does deliver a great speed but then they limit themselves by using such an awful router. 

Why?

0 Likes
Re: Why does FiOS give such a lousy router???
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I am getting 82/38 on my laptop using the Verizon router.

0 Likes
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

A quick scan on online shows a lot of people have problems with the speed on this router.  All I know is mine was super slow until I switched routers, then I got the same speed as hardwired.  Of course, I wasn't even getting the same speed hardwired as you were getting wireless, so location plays a role as well.  I suppose there's always going to be a mixture of experiences though.  Glad yours is a good one.

0 Likes
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

Tested on both my Samsung laptop and my wife's new Mac laptop.  Same results.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I changed my router from compatibility mode to performance mode in the router since I only have N devices. I took the router off of Auto channel and set it to channel 6. I downloaded the latest driver for my wifi card. I ran the fios speed optimizer and rebooted my laptop. I then tested my speed with the Verizon speed test.

0 Likes
FlameOut

I have been getting absolutely horrible wifi speeds with this router. It's so bad that I can't even watch YouTube videos withut them pausing and buffering. Hard wired, my speeds are close to what is advertised, but I just did a couple speed tests on my wifi connected desktop, and was pretty constant at 3 to 4 Mbps download and upload but this is my latest. I feel like I'm back in the 80's and using dialup to connect to QLink! 

0 Likes
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

I don't know enough about this stuff to do all that.  Plus I read many posts from peole who had changed channels, done the speed optimizer, etc and didn't get any change.  The Verizon guy set everything up when he was here installing our equipment so I'd think they'd make sure everything was optimized when they set it up. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@JMG32 wrote:

I don't know enough about this stuff to do all that.  Plus I read many posts from peole who had changed channels, done the speed optimizer, etc and didn't get any change.  The Verizon guy set everything up when he was here installing our equipment so I'd think they'd make sure everything was optimized when they set it up. 

The techs hook up the router as is they don't do the things that I mentioned.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Sounds like you might have an older router, you may want to think about purchasing their advanced wifi router, or just simply using your router in tandem with the verizon one.

That's a popular thing to do ever since wifi came out.

0 Likes
JMG322
Contributor - Level 1

It seems unfortunate that Verizon's own personnel aren't trained to set up their own routers for optimum speed on installation.

I was only given the option of one router when I signed up for service, so that's the one I used.  And we are using FiOS as well which connects to the back of the router so my own router wouldn't have worked for that.

0 Likes