Why does FiOS internet take so long to connect when I boot my computer?
hbic31
Enthusiast - Level 3

Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2.    M424WR modem/router.    Every time I turn on my computer or even if I reboot, internet takes up to 2 minutes to be able to use.    My computer doesn't detect any internet connection until, it seems, it's good and ready.   The modem is NEVER turned off and everything else in the house dependant on the internet connection doesn't have a problem.   Phones, wireless lap tops, or the PS3.    Why does it do this?  I have put IHA messenger on manual in startup.  But I still get the same problem.   Is there any way to fix this?  It's so annoying. 

And Please, Verizon support, don't send me any private messages that say to call verizon support or asking me to send you my verizon account info.  I absolutely HATE that when you guys do that.   I'm not spending half my day on hold, and you don't need to know that to answer why the computer is taking so long to find the internet connection.   If you don't know why it's doing it, then say you don't know why, or better yet, don't even respond at all.  {Please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
Re: Why does FiOS internet take so long to connect when I boot my computer?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume the machine is booting quickly, so boot-up time might be out of the question. This is just something to consider though. I'll need some further information though.

1: What security software is in use on the system? List everything that loads, especially real-time scanning programs.

2: What web browser is in use?

3: What is the state of the LAN Settings in Internet Explorer's Internet Options? (See: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Connections Tab). List what each setting is set to.

4: Is the connection present after the system is fully booted? How are you identifying whether or not the system has a connection? Through the icon down by the system clock or through an application that uses the Internet?

5: Do requests time out before connection is established or do they sit there until everything is in place?

6: Wired into the router or Wireless?

I also dare to ask: How much RAM is in the system?

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@hbic3 wrote:

Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2.    M424WR modem/router.    Every time I turn on my computer or even if I reboot, internet takes up to 2 minutes to be able to use.    My computer doesn't detect any internet connection until, it seems, it's good and ready.   The modem is NEVER turned off and everything else in the house dependant on the internet connection doesn't have a problem.   Phones, wireless lap tops, or the PS3.    Why does it do this?  I have put IHA messenger on manual in startup.  But I still get the same problem.   Is there any way to fix this?  It's so annoying. 

And Please, Verizon support, don't send me any private messages that say to call verizon support or asking me to send you my verizon account info.  I absolutely HATE that when you guys do that.   I'm not spending half my day on hold, and you don't need to know that to answer why the computer is taking so long to find the internet connection.   If you don't know why it's doing it, then say you don't know why, or better yet, don't even respond at all.  {Please keep your posts courteous}

Sounds to me like there's something wrong with your computer. How many processes do you have running at startup? Is this wired or wireless? Does the computer detect your NIC and just no internet?

0 Likes
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

I doubt there is anything wrong.  I have the same issue since installing FIOS.  This was not the case when it was simple Verizon Business DSL.    I have Windows Vista Ultimate but I do have alot of programs and services at startup.  Even disabling many, my connection is delayed.   My computer usually runs 24/7 but it's on the rare occasion when I have to shut down and then start up that there is definitely at least 1-1/2 min to 2 min delay for the network connection.   Occasionally, upon a restart, it will detect my internet connection immediately.  I have given up stressing about it as long as my system runs well!  

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I have both an XP machine and a Win7 laptop. Both take time after booting to access the network.  The culprit is Norton (Symantec). In both cases it runs a security check BEFORE it allows network access.

You may not have Symantec products installed, but if you have any other antivirus software it it probably doing the same thing.

irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

And I agree.....Norton probably is the culprit for me too!  But it runs flawlessly so I cannot complain about it.

0 Likes
time_machine

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

deleted by author 

0 Likes