Why does lease expire in this configuration?
three_jeeps
Enthusiast - Level 3

I configured a dlink wireless IP camera on my network the following way:  Camera to receive an IP address via DHCP.  WPA2  selected and pw was entered. 

On my actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I I set a reserved (static) address for the camera for the wireless mac code as 192.168.1.10. 

I restart camera and routers, and in the router connection list,  I see the camera with a lease, and everything works fine.

Comeback later and the camera does not work, check the connection list and see the lease has expired!

What causes this and how can it be fixed?  I want the camera to have a static address....I can configure the camera to have a static address, but would that fix it? and if so, what do I need to do on the actiontec side???

Thanks

J

0 Likes
Re: Why does lease expire in this configuration?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

just configure with status address. As long as router sees it, the router won't give out that IP for dhcp.

three_jeeps
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hate to be dense, but configure what?  how?

" just configure with status address. As long as router sees it, the router won't give out that IP for dhcp."

So are you saying to configure the camera with an address of 192.168.1.10, and I should uncheck "obtain address by DHCP"??

And then in the router delete that static (reserved) address???

Please clarify.

TYVM

J

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

He meant static address.  And on the device, i.e. not on the router.  Since he and I don't know your device we cannot give you details.  You seem to know how to do this from part of your last response.

It is also possible to go into the router and reserve a static address at least on the ActionTec routers after the device connects.

1. Logon to the router at http://192.168.1.1 
  2. Default admin id is "admin" and password should be either printed on a sticker on the router, or for older routers be the router serial number.  If you can't get in you can double check the password on the verizon website, your FIOS TV, or reset the router.
  3. click on the advanced tab and yes to warning message
  4. select IP-distribution distribution
  5. select connection list
  6. find the device in list and connect the middle action icon (edit)
  7. click the box for static lease type and then click apply

I would then still go into to the device and unclick the get address for DHCP.  All DHCP address are meant to expire, and the devices are suppose to regular check for and renew the address within a reasonable time.

Remember we are peers and not Verizon support.  Verizon will rarely answer questions via the forums.  Se