Why is Ethernet connection to ONT required for Gigabit service?
Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm upgrading from 100/100 to Gigabit service and also moving to the new G3100 router.  I was told that I'll need to relocate the new router to have an Ethernet connection with the ONT to support the faster speed.  Why is it that the coax can't support above 100mps for connection to the ONT but it can handle 1000mps via MOCA bonded 2.0, or even faster with MOCA 2.5? I don't like that I'm going to need to stick my router down in the garage at the far corner of my house so that it has an Ethernet connection. That will create some other issues to deal with. Pulling Cat6 from the ONT to my preferred router location isn't a realistic option.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is Ethernet connection to ONT required for Gigabit service?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JBell wrote:

I'm upgrading from 100/100 to Gigabit service and also moving to the new G3100 router.  I was told that I'll need to relocate the new router to have an Ethernet connection with the ONT to support the faster speed.  Why is it that the coax can't support above 100mps for connection to the ONT but it can handle 1000mps via MOCA bonded 2.0, or even faster with MOCA 2.5? I don't like that I'm going to need to stick my router down in the garage at the far corner of my house so that it has an Ethernet connection. That will create some other issues to deal with. Pulling Cat6 from the ONT to my preferred router location isn't a realistic option.

The ONT is MoCA 1.1 so that's why speeds over 100 mbps isn't possible. If running ethernet isn't possible you will have to move the router to the garage. Then you can get fios network adapter(FNA) where your router currently is and connect it to a wireless AP. You could also accomplish this with an E3200 but I believe they are $200. The FNAs are only $55. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JBell wrote:

The ONT is MoCA 1.1 so that's why speeds over 100 mbps isn't possible. If running ethernet isn't possible you will have to move the router to the garage. Then you can get fios network adapter(FNA) where your router currently is and connect it to a wireless AP. You could also accomplish this with an E3200 but I believe they are $200. The FNAs are only $55. 

Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks - makes sense. I assumed it was probably old MOCA hardware in the ONT. The point of getting the G3100 was for the improved wifi speed and range.  Using a different access point would negate that, or at least require met to buy another new wifi router.  I'll give it a shot with the G3100 in the garage and see if the coverage and speed is good.  I'll also need to run a MOCA adaper where my router currently is to feed my wired network.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have FiOS TV service?  If not, there is an  un-supported method you can consider to have a coax connection between the ONT and router.

Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes - I have Fios TV as well.  As long as the wifi coverage and speed is good with the new router in the garage I don't really have an issue so I'll just need to give it a try.

0 Likes