Why is Fios now throttling my bandwidth?
slopples1

I use torrents, like many other people, for legitimate reasons.  Most developers distribute in the way of torrents because it removes their need to pay for expensive servers and bandwidth.  Downloading a distro of linux on a torrent is much quicker.  But it would seem that Verizon Fios has decided that I no longer am allowed to download anything torrent related above 10kbs.  So, thanks for that.  I'll be dropping you for Comcast.

0 Likes
Re: Why is Fios now throttling my bandwidth?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't seen anyone complaining about throttling of Torrents on any Verizon service, DSL or FiOS. Are you sure the 10KB/s problem isn't due to a firewall or perhaps your router choking due to a lack of memory? On older ActionTecs it's common for larger swarms to bring the connection to a halt as the router's NAT table fills and runs out of memory.

If you could PM me some Wireshark capture data to prove Verizon's throttling, that would be appreciated. Otherwise, try a smaller swarm or run a Glasnost test.

0 Likes
Re: Why is Fios now throttling my bandwidth?
prisaz
Legend

@slopples wrote:

I use torrents, like many other people, for legitimate reasons.  Most developers distribute in the way of torrents because it removes their need to pay for expensive servers and bandwidth.  Downloading a distro of linux on a torrent is much quicker.  But it would seem that Verizon Fios has decided that I no longer am allowed to download anything torrent related above 10kbs.  So, thanks for that.  I'll be dropping you for Comcast.

What speed package do you have, and what model and revision of router do you have?

If you have an older revision of router, Like Actiontec Rev. D, contact tech support and explain your issues. They may just send a new router at no cost. Regardless, depending on the number of connections in the NAT table, it could slow things down. I know Rev D. and below had that issue.

I know if you are a developer you could understand that. If you use Linux, have you considered this? Though if you have TV features, the linux box will not let some features work, and Verizon will not support it. Features such as Caller ID and Remote DVR. All else works for me. My Linux box has 3 NICs and the Verizon router sits on one of them where it can not access my internal subnet., but still accesses the web Just fine.

My primary router is a Linux box IPCop v2.0.4, with Dan's Guardian Proxy Filter. I can see every connection in my NAT table.

My network never slows down.

Red NIC - ONT

Blue WiFi NIC - Firewall Used for second internal subnet, and not WiFi. Verizon sits here for security. Blue no access to green.

Green NIC - Firewall for my private network.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+

Memory: 
 SizeUsedFreePercentage
RAM15560764469761109100

28%
buffers177868 

11%
cached163556 

10%
-/+ buffers/cache105552 

6%
Swap2621360262136