Re: Why is Verizon Shaping my bandwidth?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They can't be resposible for internet access after it leaves their server.  The internet is well the internet.

That doesn't excuse them on problems on their servers or in some cases between their servers and the first server they talk to on another network.

0 Likes
njalvino
Enthusiast - Level 2

TNS_2, thanks for the reply. I am very aware how internet routing, path pinging, trace routes, hops, pings & all other irrelivent terms work & function. The fact of the matter, & topic of this thread, is to find out WHY verizon is shaping our bandwidth, controling the single stream capabilities. Every ISP has to set a rate CAP. That i understand.   I pay for 75/35 internet. Not 75/35 only if being pulled by multiple sources at once only if the routing is ideal and theirs no loss in the lines , raining, snowing, uphill both ways, etc. Simple. Why can we NOT use our advertised speed, in all applications? Not Giving us a straw untill Verizon feels we deserve a fire hose. Get what we pay for! Period!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see no sign of shaping on my connection for download.  Get 50+  on my FL connection  and 150+ on myNY connection.   Note I have all my devices going to netgear routers, and then to the actiontecs.  Reaching the maximum upload speeds, particularly on my gear in NY is a problem.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I also see this issue, but with upload speeds only.  They can test ok to the nearest Verizon server, but when actually sending or uploading, the actual speed is often only about 1% of the promised speed.   Up until recently, actual upload speed was very good, perhaps 50-60% of stated speed.

After multiple service visits and all home FIOS equipment and wiring changed, I still can't ever achieve more than a 1Meg actual upload speed even though I pay for 25 Meg upload speed.  Actual upload speeds are usually 300 kbps or slower when using most of the major file sharing or online storage services or websites. Verizon will not acknowledge or attempt to fix the issue if it tests fine to their local server using their speed testing web page.

Something has changed in their network recently in the way that it deals with uploads from FIOS customers.

Please see my thread here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Slow-real-world-upload-speed/td-p/654849

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

@tns_2 wrote:

I see no sign of shaping on my connection for download.  Get 50+  on my FL connection  and 150+ on myNY connection.   Note I have all my devices going to netgear routers, and then to the actiontecs.  Reaching the maximum upload speeds, particularly on my gear in NY is a problem.

That's great if you pay for speedtest sites.

Try Netflix in evening - you are lucky to get 500kbps (not M). I usually get 345kbps.

At the same moment, if I change the DNS to unlocator.com one, I will get at  least 3000kbps..

I can't wait to end my 2 year with those guys and go back to Cox.

PS: No Verizon employee is on those forums, they wrote the first topics and now they are gone.

0 Likes
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you're upset about the Netflix situation sign the petition located here: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/869/336/946/verizon-intentionally-crippling-netflix-streaming-over-it...

and upvote the reddit.com post here: http://redd.it/20zokw

I'm sure Verizon is hoping we're just roll over and let it go.  Frankly, I'm shocked about how many people are letting this go.  If you're really ticked  off file a Better Business Bureau complaint and ask Verizon release you from your contract if they can't provide the bandwidth they promise.  There's no reason we should accept this kind of behavior from companies we pay hundreds of dollars to each month.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SoNi67 wrote:

@tns_2 wrote:

That's great if you pay for speedtest sites.

Try Netflix in evening - you are lucky to get 500kbps (not M). I usually get 345kbps.

At the same moment, if I change the DNS to unlocator.com one, I will get at  least 3000kbps..

I can't wait to end my 2 year with those guys and go back to Cox.

PS: No Verizon employee is on those forums, they wrote the first topics and now they are gone.

NETFLIX is a totally seperate issue that belongs in another thread.  Until they reach some agreement they will continue to run slow as most of the existing connections are overloaded.

Not applicable

People -

Please,  educate yourself on the difference between single stream data & multistream. 

Using websites like speedtest.net & verizon.net/speedtest , basiclly any site that uses flash, especially ones designed by "'ookla" are multistream flash based. These type of speed tests use numerous connections at once to pull your maximum bandwidth. 

Single stream , like sending your friend a file, co worker a video or your boss a large project. alot of psp programs use single stream as well, this is why verizon is shapring it.  The download is not the issue here, the upload is. The upload is shaped.  

Again., please review the proven examples:

"I use dc++ to share files. i usualy am part of 10 or more hubs at a time with 40 upload slots available. If a user is getting a file from me its usually between 200 and 900 kbs. if that user happens to be in , lets say 6 other hubs that im ALSO in, they will have access to 6 of my slots. in which they now have 6 uploads coming from me at 200 -900 kbs each slot. Verizon will not allow me to max my upload to 1 user unless in multiple streams."

Pics: 

Single stream & multistream:

Multistream:

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, that is a good explanation of how Verizon "shapes" (or possibly throttles) its customers' upload speeds, but as you said in your original post, it doesn't explain why Verizon chooses to do this to their customers who are paying for faster upload speeds than they are able to even come close to achieving.

Also, it would be great if other users here could test their speeds using the official Verizon FIOS speed test site to their closest server, and then compare when using the same site to a distant server, and then report their results here.

http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

My download speed always stays the same no matter which server is selected, but the upload speed always tests at only about 10% of the speed on distant Verizon servers compared to what it shows at the closest server.  I would expect some speed drop (on both upload and download), but not a 90% drop and on only the upload speed.

Finally, is there any way to make a single stream into a multiple stream as a workaround to get better upload speeds?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon controls this, therein lies the problem. 

0 Likes