Why is Verizon thottling Youtube streaming?
Geocentricity

I'm on Verizon Fios 50/50 plan and I started to monitor the bitrate that's coming in from Youtube ever since (day 1 of my service) streaming from Youtube on only 1080 gave me hiccups in the video. I was on Optimum Online for the past 3 years on a 25/10 plan and streaming 1440 was a non-issue, yet Fios on 50/50 can't even maintain 1080. 

Yea, I've done all the speed testing, IP forwarding, router ya da, and the incoming bitrate is sub 200KBps from Youtube. Amazon Prime and Hulu are fine at 4K STREAMING. 

Anyone have any ideas how to get in contact with Verizon? I'm at wits end and about to cancel and switch back to Optimum. Heck, they even wanted to give me 50/50 for $40/mon when I told them I was switching providers.

0 Likes
Re: Why is Verizon thottling Youtube streaming?
jonjones1
Legend

If Amazon Prime and Hulu are streaming ok then think here a moment.

its a YouTube issue and not Fios.

if you want to quit Fios over a slow stream, and not below what Youtube can be viewed at then call 1-800-VERIZON back and cancel.

you should always go with the service that works for you.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Oh I just found this:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/78358?hl=en

According to Google, minimum requirement for good streaming of 720p HD videos is >2.5 Mbps. So for 1080p 4 Mbps or more will do.

And you are getting more bandwidth than needed to stream seamlessly for YouTube.

0 Likes
Geocentricity

I am very aware of the requirements and yes, my Fios 50/50 is more than sufficient for unhindered HD streaming or at least it is on paper. 

And no, it is NOT an issue with Youtube. The fact is it was day and night the very first day I switched from Optimum to Verizon. My T-Mobile wireless service can stream 1440 on Youtube without hitting a buffer wall compared to my wired FIOS. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Geocentricity wrote:

I am very aware of the requirements and yes, my Fios 50/50 is more than sufficient for unhindered HD streaming or at least it is on paper. 

And no, it is NOT an issue with Youtube. The fact is it was day and night the very first day I switched from Optimum to Verizon. My T-Mobile wireless service can stream 1440 on Youtube without hitting a buffer wall compared to my wired FIOS. 

Yes it is very sufficient for all streaming. The basic logic here to be applied is if other streaming sites like Hulu, Amazon Video, DirectTvNow, and Acorn etc. are running correctly IT must be a YouTube issue. 

My wife and I used Time Warner Cable forever, we streamed all the services mentioned above and she is a fan of youtube and on it constantly at 15/1 without any buffering or issues. We waited for fios to get to our neighborhood and even then waited 2  years before we bit the bullet and got it. We have no issues what so ever.

0 Likes
TomCrewz

They began throttling in August. Depending on your plan your service begins slowing down after 20GB/month cycle - or it will slow down because the network is congested (without even using 20GB) 

i have an extremely old unlimited plan that was grandfathered in and I notice a massive difference in YouTube. I can barely watch when throttled. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are referring to Verizon wireless.

FiOS does not have similar restrictions.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@TomCrewz wrote:

They began throttling in August. Depending on your plan your service begins slowing down after 20GB/month cycle - or it will slow down because the network is congested (without even using 20GB) 

i have an extremely old unlimited plan that was grandfathered in and I notice a massive difference in YouTube. I can barely watch when throttled. 

Did you read my original reply? The Fios home service does not throttle only the wireless side (Verizon Wireless) was doing it.

you might like to post this at community.verizonwireless.com 

0 Likes
intramorph
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Verizon Gigabit service and get 880mbps down and around 900mbps up and I get youtube buffers all the time. After I started using a VPN I get about ~20mbps youtube is working perfectly fine. So with all of that speed Verizon gave me and i'm paying for they do throttle you quite a bit. Especially when it comes to youtube...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Again Verizon Fios does not throttle YouTube. My wife uses it almost constantly when she gets home. We have had it playing on multiple devices and smart tv’s with no buffering or slow downs.

there has to be another reason for it happening to you. Maybe it’s just more people using Fios at certain times. It could be just regular internet slow down, or your devices are just not top of the line as far as nic cards, or WiFi antennas or even operating conditions.

0 Likes