Why is the FIOS Ethernet Wall Jack Wired Different?
DrNik

Currently I have FIOS Internet only (No TV) and the only cable from the ONT is a Cat6 Ethernet going to a wall jack in my living room. The RJ-45 plug going into the ONT Ethernet port is the Standard T568B wiring for Pins 1-8. However, I noticed years ago they wired the Ethernet wall jack push-pins 1-8 in a cross-over pattern as seen below:

When I upgraded in Aug 2019 an Install Tech came to replace my ONT to support Gigabit Internet. I bought the G1100 Quantum Gateway router instead of renting since it was on sale. Before we hooked up the G1100 I asked the Tech if he needed to change the Ethernet wall jack wiring since it was setup as a cross-over for the old Actiontec router. He said he had never heard of this and the G1100 would automatically handle Standard T568B pass-thru all the way to its WAN port. But we decided to leave it alone and connect the G1100 which did get Internet after the Firmware upgrades finished.

In an effort to simplify my network cabling (and eventually remove/replace the G1100 with my own Asus RT-AC86U) I replaced the push-pin wall jack with a Cat6 pass-thru coupler that uses RJ-45 on both sides. Now I had a T568B pass-thru to the G1100 WAN port. However, when I powered it up then Internet never worked. I tried multiple re-boots on the router and even re-booted the ONT. After 3 hours the only thing I didn’t try was a factory reset on the G1100 as I did Not want to re-configure my settings. I had to replace the new wall jack with the old push-pin and wire the cross-over again to get the Internet working.

I know this will work as T568B pass-thru from ONT all the way to router WAN because I did this at my Sister’s house when I upgraded her FIOS to Gigabit Internet only (No TV). She was renting the G1100 and wanted to get rid of it. Before the upgrade I did a DHCP Release on the WAN, powered down, & disconnected the G1100. Then I ran a new Cat6 Ethernet cable from the ONT outside her house to a wall port in her Office. In the wall port I used a Cat6 pass-thru coupler. Now all RJ-45 ends from the ONT to her Asus RT-AC86U WAN port are wired as T568B. Within 2 minutes of booting the Asus router all of its lights were good and she had Internet. I went to the FIOS speed test, from an Ethernet connect PC, and verified she was getting in the 800+ to 900+ Mb/s range Down & Up.

I would really appreciate if some Expert or Install Tech can explain why the T568B pass-thru wiring to the G1100 won’t work. Is there a setting that needs to be changed on the ONT, the Router, or is there another way to fix this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is the FIOS Ethernet Wall Jack Wired Different?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are crossover cable configurations both 10/100 BASE-T and 1000 BASE-T. The 10/100 BASE-T uses only two pair so the set up is as follows...

1 o/w   > gr/w 1

2 o       > g      2

3 gr/w > o/w  3

6 gr     > o       6

The 1000 BASE-T uses all four pairs as follows...

1 o/w   > gr/w 1

2 o       > g      2

3 gr/w > o/w  3

4 bl      > br/w 4

5 bl/w > br      5

6 gr     > o       6

7 br/w > bl      7

8 br     > bl/w  8

Now all newer devices these day are Auto MDI-X so whether you use a crossover or straight-through cable the device will detect whether to use MDI or MDI-X. I’m not sure if the G1100 or the ONT is Auto MDI-X or not. What is comes down to is there is really no reason not to wire both end as T568B. This way there will be no issues.  

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are crossover cable configurations both 10/100 BASE-T and 1000 BASE-T. The 10/100 BASE-T uses only two pair so the set up is as follows...

1 o/w   > gr/w 1

2 o       > g      2

3 gr/w > o/w  3

6 gr     > o       6

The 1000 BASE-T uses all four pairs as follows...

1 o/w   > gr/w 1

2 o       > g      2

3 gr/w > o/w  3

4 bl      > br/w 4

5 bl/w > br      5

6 gr     > o       6

7 br/w > bl      7

8 br     > bl/w  8

Now all newer devices these day are Auto MDI-X so whether you use a crossover or straight-through cable the device will detect whether to use MDI or MDI-X. I’m not sure if the G1100 or the ONT is Auto MDI-X or not. What is comes down to is there is really no reason not to wire both end as T568B. This way there will be no issues.  

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're talking to other users here.  You will not get a response from a Verizon tech.

Straight wiring works fine.  I've got 16 or so Ethernet jacks around my home wired this way.  One is used for the ONT WAN connection; no issues.

There are no settings in the router for this layer one connection.  The link works, or it doesn't.  The link light is your clue.

My guess is the installation of the Cat6 connector had a problem.  If you're going to do your own wiring, buy a cheap Ethernet line tester.  For $15 or $20 you can get one that will verify all eight wires are connected as you expect.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was the jack already there or did Verizon tech install it?
I didn't think they typically installed jacks.
They may run wires from ONT to a single location, but not jacks.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

Was the jack already there or did Verizon tech install it?
I didn't think they typically installed jacks.
They may run wires from ONT to a single location, but not jacks.

While I do not have any Verizon Services other than this forum/message board, I will give out my two cents.

Standard install = one single jack at a single location for free (not really free, but part of the standard install). If they wire extra jacks, then the user must pay extra.

Please note this is my educated guess and the answer that you provided might be the correct one.