Why use 2 routers
TomLUKE

Today the Verizon technician install the TV/Internet/phone service at my house at Warwick RI, and I found that there are 2 routers installed: ActionTech MI424-WR and ZyXel Prestige 861.

I was wondering why install 2 routers, the prestige 861 is used as modem, and the signal is from phone jack, not the cable. While the MI424-WR has cable connected and signal from Prestige 861.

Does the cable not carry the Internet signals? Just TV signals? But the cable is connected to the ActionTech's router.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why use 2 routers
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You have an MDU install used in apartment buildings where VZ was not given permission, or it wasn't practical to run fiber to each unit. You have only one router.  The Zyxel is a VDSL modem, not a router. 

With an MDU install, internet is transmitted over the phone wiring using VDSL, rather than over the coax since the coax is shared with the entire building.  The coax connection to the router provides the internet connection for the STBs.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You have an MDU install used in apartment buildings where VZ was not given permission, or it wasn't practical to run fiber to each unit. You have only one router.  The Zyxel is a VDSL modem, not a router. 

With an MDU install, internet is transmitted over the phone wiring using VDSL, rather than over the coax since the coax is shared with the entire building.  The coax connection to the router provides the internet connection for the STBs.

TomLUKE

Hi anti-phish
Thank you for your reply.

Can I use another router tp replace ActionTech MI424-WR?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can use another router, but it's a pain.  The Actiontec provides a connection from the WAN (the Ethernet from the DSL modem) to the set-top boxes over coax.  No other routers have this functionality built in.

Often, when people say they want to use a different router it is because they don't like the WiFi in the Actiontec router.  If this is your concern, know that you can disable the WiFi in the Actiontec and use another router or access point instead.

The following web page provides examples of how to setup a FiOS network:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

Good Luck

TomLUKE

Hi gs0b

Thank you for your reply.

I will give a try this weekend, and let you and other people who have interest the result.

Have a good weekend

0 Likes