Wi-Fi Hotspot question
Teejer703

Today I ventured out with my laptop to McDonalds -- the first time since installing the Verizon Wi-Fi Hotspot software. When I tried to connect to the McDonald's wifi, I got a box telling me that it was not a Verizon hotspot and I was not able to connect. After a frustrating several minutes I finally uninstalled the Verizon software and then was able to use the McD's wifi.

So, am I missing something or does the Verizon software block me from using anyone else's open networks?? I am just  being dense and missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

T. J.

0 Likes
Re: Wi-Fi Hotspot question
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suspect you are right that Verizon software blocks users from using anyone else's open networks, but I do not know for sure.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The software doenst block your access, but it wont help you connect either.

The software only works at participating locations. If you are at a non-participating location, you cant use the software, you have to manually connect.

For example lets say you have Windows 7. Go to Mcdonalds. If you try to use the wifi icon you will get the error you got. So to connect to that location, you would have to go into your network and sharing center, and use the "connect to a network" link in Windows. That would get you connected.

You just have to remember that the Verizon wifi icon will only help you get connected at their locations.

InfiniteClouds

Ok, here's my question. Is this service unusable for wireless devices like smartphones? Can I not switch my Droid over to Verizon's WIFI Hotspot? Being that you need this software to be downloaded it seems like it would only work for laptops...

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@InfiniteClouds wrote:

Ok, here's my question. Is this service unusable for wireless devices like smartphones? Can I not switch my Droid over to Verizon's WIFI Hotspot? Being that you need this software to be downloaded it seems like it would only work for laptops...

Basically I think the answer is YES.

Bloated windows install that I've never got to connect to anything yet.

0 Likes
Letitride3c
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the VZ wifi software (access via part of business plan package - home dsl too slow to upgrade to the 1.5/384 plus plan to qualify for it) installed on the laptop for occassional use when traveling.  It used to connect to one of the hotel hotspot identified as being VZ wifi enabled just fine, and the unique wifi only userid & password will log me in (identified as Boingo and/or Wayport_Access)   For those of us who managed to get onto these hotspots, we all know it is usually a connection partnered with AT&T (and others ISP/providers.)

For the past months, when we returned & stayed on 2 different occassion, the wifi access would not even work at all with its pop-up, so I couldn't even check or update the most current list of locations (if anyone else has consistent & reliable updates using that mini wifi finder, please share as I would love to hear it)

Finally, had to disable it and just use the regular (Dell laptop - running XPP SP3)  Intel software to connect to the Boingo hotspot - it was at that point that I was able to check to see that the hotel is no longer participating or a partner with VZ for wifi access.  It offered a Day Pass option for $12.99 (plus tax, most likely) - I just click log off & say the he** with this add-on.

Luckily, I had my smartphone devices and other options, so I was able to connect via usb cable & get online to do a few quick things - since I'm using the not so unlimited & capped data plan from them. 

The point is that the VZ wifi software is very buggy, it's 50/50 in terms of luck (success) in getting the location lists updated, and most of them, it is useful for getting a successful connection.  That's my experience with it thus far for sharing.

BTW, I've done this with 2 different laptops - wasn't sure if it was MY device's configuration errors or software problems, NOT - and my devices connect just fine on other FREE wireless networks at other hotels, at the airports, cable HSI blasting at near Fios speed (ComCast for business) and at home via 10/100 Ethernet connection hookup - getting useful technical support from VZ on this is next to impossible on the road while you are trying to connect & getting work done.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@InfiniteClouds wrote:

Yes, the wifi hotspot is a pc only program. does not work on mobile devices. So it will not work on your droid.

Also about the updated hotspot list. I rarely use it but when I did, I always update it before I leave home. I've never tried using the auto update. I get ready for the trip, update the list while connected to my home network, and then go. Hotspots seem to be added and deleted frequently.

0 Likes