Wi Fi hot spots.
Johnnyice
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'd like to know why Verizon doesn't supply Wi-Fi hot spots for their internet subscribers like the other service providers do, oh , like, Comcast, Optimum On Line, Time Warner Cable, Cox Cable, to name a few?
Sincerely,
Not Happy!
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wi Fi hot spots.
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Johnnyice
Enthusiast - Level 2
Sorry Mr. Yang but you are wrong. There is no support for iOS devices. My opinion of my FIOS service was one of, its fantastic! Great picture on my TV, more hi def channels than comcast, phone works, Internet was just as good. But I have to say that this Wi-Fi hot spot policy that Verizon has is real bush league! Comcast has Verizon beat, hands down in the Wi-Fi hot spot area of service for their customers. There's no software to download, no signing up with special names and passwords, you just use your Comcast user name and that's it. Shame on you Verizon. I feel like I'm being short changed here because I choose to use iOS devices instead of windows crap. It's not fare that I pay the same money as a laptop user yet I don't get Wi-Fi access like they do!
Still Not Happy!!
John.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon Broadband Customers Get Free Boingo Wi-Fi

gizmodo.com/.../verizon-broadband-customers-get-free-boingo...
Gizmodo

by Matt Buchanan - Jul 27, 2009 - Verizon's now giving free Wi-Fi access at Boingo hotspots to Verizon broadband subscribers—current FiOS customers with at least 20Mbps ...

Verizon Wifi now works on Mac? | Apple Support Communities

discussions.apple.com › SupportApple Support Communities
Apple Inc.

Oct 6, 2012 - The Apple OS X Wifi driver of course can access Boingo, but then you ... If you have a Verizon Wireless cell-phone account with MiFi, MiFi is ...

Duncan-H Nov 10, 2012 2:13 PM
in response to Googleperplexed | This solved my question

I am logged in on Boingo at Newark Airport, using verozon wifi

I selected roaming login as Verizon Business

I added "@verizon.net" to my verizon wifi username

!gave my verizon wifi password,

and all worked as in William Yang's instructions.

@MFfan310: A few points to clarify here.

Windows Only

Completely false. You don't need any software to connect to their hotspots and even if you wanted to use the optional software they provide, they have a version for Mac OS X.

Software Download to Access Hotspots

You don't have to download anything to access the hotspots. Boingo has a program that simply makes connecting to the different hotspots easier.

No Support for Win7

They aren't supporting this yet because IT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED FOR PURCHASE to the general public. I'm sure come October when people can buy Windows 7 they'll support that OS too.

No Support for Mobile Devices with Wi-Fi

Again, you don't need any software to connect, I can access their hotspots fine with my iPhone and I do believe that falls into the mobile device with wi-fi category. Again, if you really want their software that makes connecting easier, they have downloads for multiple mobile OSes.

Not that I love Boingo or anything, I'm just trying to figure out why you posted all of this clearly incorrect information. The only research I needed to do involved visiting a single webpage - [www.boingo.com]

0 Likes
Johnnyice
Enthusiast - Level 2
You're showing posts that are almost 2 years old. I tried Biongo. It doe sent work!
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Did you try it that way, because I did on my android and it works.  

0 Likes
Johnnyice
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have the boingo app on my phone. I was near a Boingo hot spot and tried to log on and it wouldn't let me.
0 Likes
Johnnyice
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'd like to go back to my original post, I came from comcast. When I would use my iPhone to access the internet and I was near a hot spot a log in screen would appear. All I had to do was choose comcast, enter my comcast I'd, not a special one, and my comcast password and that was it! Connected! Why the rigger morrow. Verizon charges the same as comcast for the service, why can't they supply the Wi-Fi the same way? I'm happy with my TV portion of verizon, much better than comcast, but that's about it. Comcast has better overall features and while I just renewed with verizon, it things don't change for the better with the Wi- Fi and a few other things, I'm going back to comcast!
0 Likes
DonaldEPayne1
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Or perhaps they want to keep the number of Wi-Fi users down because the more users that use the service, the more they have to pay Boingo."

... and the less cellular data their customer (who may be also a Verizon Wireless customer) will use, meaning less revenue for Verizon. The better the Wi-Fi service from Verizon (the non-wireless company), the less revenue for Verizon Wireless.

0 Likes
DonaldEPayne1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your blog post. But in the two years since, they have not doc'd a method for alternate OS's. I just chatted with Verizon Tech Support; they confirmed they support only Windows PC's. In the nearest big downtown to me (Huntington Village, NY 11743), Optimum has 50+ hotspots within a few blocks of Main St. and New York Ave.; Verizon's nearest hotspot is miles away. And Optimum lets you register the MAC address of up to 6 devices -- no login needed, you just connect & go.

I wonder if Verizon (the corporation) is afraid that if Verizon (the TV, phone, Internet provider) provides too good a Wi-Fi service, then the customers of Verizon Wireless won't need to use as much cellular data. That's true for us, but I really don't want to go back to Verizon (FiOS) if it doesn't improve Wi-Fi.

0 Likes