Wi-Fi hotspots change for CA, FL, an TX
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hadn't thought about this until the message I just got.

On April 1, 2016, Verizon landline customers in California, Florida and Texas will transition to your new service provider, Frontier Communications.

When the transition occurs, internet service customers in these states will no longer have access to the free public Wi-Fi hotspots currently provided by Boingo Wireless as Verizon Wi=Fi Internet service.

If you are interested in continuing to have access at these hotspots, you can contact Boingo Wireless at boingo.com/retail to purchase the service directly.

For information regarding the transition of Verizon landline customers in California, Florida and Texas and Frontier’s services, please see Frontier’s online FAQs at Meetfrontier.com.

Haven't heard if Frontier had anything similar.

0 Likes
Re: Wi-Fi hotspots change for CA, FL, an TX
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Given that FIOS spots didn't work on smartphones or tablets, I don't many will care.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Wi-Fi-hot-spots/td-p/723819

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I certainly never bothered to sign up to use that service, didn't see any benefit for me.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had been on it when there were lots of Verizon hot-spots.  They did get rid of most of their's but there were lots of Boingo hot spots.  Remember this was a free extra.  Now you would have to pay extra for Boingo (something like $5 a month). 

As said I don't know how many Frontier hot spots there may be or if they have any partners.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@db909 wrote:

Given that FIOS spots didn't work on smartphones or tablets, I don't many will care.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Wi-Fi-hot-spots/td-p/723819

You didn't need the app so the FIOS spots worked fine.  There also was a Boingo app that worked.  Given there were many more Boingo locations then FIOS.  Used them for years when traveling especially at airports.

0 Likes