Wi Fi no longer works but wired connections do
janakat11

Our 9 wi fi devices will no longer connect to the network or internet via the FiOS router, after several years of no trouble.  Wired connections are still connected.  The Router control panel shows all 9 devices as inactive and the wired devices as enabled.

Pinging the wireless devices fails.

Have tried to change the WEP, still doesn't work.

Is it time for a new router?  

0 Likes
Re: Wi Fi no longer works but wired connections do
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

There are some troubleshooting steps you could do to see if your router is still transmitting wifi.  However, if you've had your router for serveral years, and you're still using WEP, I suggest it is indeed time for a new router.

Verizon is offering a free upgrade to a later model router with WPA2 capability.  You can order one here:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

The offer in question is the top item on that page.  Click on the upgrade offer link, add the router to your cart, and you should have the new device in a few days.  (At least that's the way it worked for me.)

Hopefully, the free replacement will solve your no wifi issue, as well as give you better wifi security.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you haven't already tried the basic trouble shooting step of resetting the router, you should try that.  Power cycle it and see if that fixes the problem.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Try disabling the security encryption to see if you can connect at all.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Telcoguru wrote:

That would've been the first troubleshooting step I would've suggested too, except for the fact that the OP seems to have an older router and is running WEP.

Why not just take advantage of Verizon's free offer for an upgrade to a new router?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@eljefe wrote:

@Telcoguru wrote:

That would've been the first troubleshooting step I would've suggested too, except for the fact that the OP seems to have an older router and is running WEP.

Why not just take advantage of Verizon's free offer for an upgrade to a new router?

If their router is that old I would certainly get a new myself. I am waiting to see what this Quantum router looks like.

0 Likes