Wi Fi problems
nopd4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been using modem/wireless router for WIFI for my IPad and my smart phone in my bedroom for about two months with no problem. Suddenly on Wednesday both of these devices stop being able to connect to the router from my bedroom. These devices do connect once I enter into the room where the modem/wireless router is located but they lose connection once I leave the room. It never was a problem before, do I need a new modem or is there a way to boost the signal. Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wi Fi problems
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

In your web browser's address bar type 192.168.1.1 and enter.

The default user name/pw:  admin/password

Click on Wireless Settings > Basic Security Settings

In the middle of the page, #3, is where you select what channel is used.

Click the Apply button at the buttom of the page and you're done.

P.S.

If you haven't been in to that setup yet you should have been for security reasons.  The router defaults to WEP encryption which is weak.  You should have at least WPA enabled, and preferably WPA2.  But that's another subject.  🙂

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It sounds like you might be experiecing some interfernce that was happening before.

First and easiest thing to try would be changing the channel your wifi is on.  Many wifi access points default to the middle channel, 6.  If a neighbor is also on 6 that could be the issue.

Try changing to channel 1, or 11, and see if that helps.

Dexstev

IF you can contact tech support have them send you a new modem - the wireless component seems to die anywhere from 3 - 12 months.

Having the same problem and cannot even talk to someone in tech support.

0 Likes
nopd4
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do I change the channel ???

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

What make router do you have?

0 Likes
nopd4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an ACTIONTEC M1424-WR Rev.E

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

In your web browser's address bar type 192.168.1.1 and enter.

The default user name/pw:  admin/password

Click on Wireless Settings > Basic Security Settings

In the middle of the page, #3, is where you select what channel is used.

Click the Apply button at the buttom of the page and you're done.

P.S.

If you haven't been in to that setup yet you should have been for security reasons.  The router defaults to WEP encryption which is weak.  You should have at least WPA enabled, and preferably WPA2.  But that's another subject.  🙂

nopd4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your response. I changed the channel and it now works, thank you again.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Cool!.  Glad it was that easy.

0 Likes
oestrada

This doesn't always work. I've done that and I still lose signal on my iPad and iPhone, and degrades signal strength considerably. Automatic seems to work better for me, but I think Verizon should deploy routers with the 802.11n standard which support faster wireless connection and longer distances.

0 Likes