Wi-fi needs upgrade, but debating about keeping Verizon Fios Service (another big price increase)
mcmarya
Enthusiast - Level 2

In a quandary since replacing my computer since my old Fios router (Actiontec M1424WR) does not work well with the new computer's wireless card--super slow speeds, maybe not dial up but not much better.  Since I use my computer a distance from the router, I have been hooked up with a long, snaking ethernet cable while I figure out what to do.  Fortunately, the old router works fine with a direct connection.  My Fios contract is up in January and so far it looks like I will have a 17% price increase after yearly increases of anywhere from 10 - 15% with each new contract previously.  If I keep Fios, I will have to have my ONT replaced--the one I have does not have an ethernet connection inside--snake an ethernet cable from there to my  husband's office (no easy way to get through the wall), buy a new router and hope I will have decent wi-fi speed.   Or, I can throw in my lot with Cox Cable which also does not excite me.   Or I can move my computer into my husband's office.  There is a good chance I will sell my house in the next year or 2 so not excited about making big changes.

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but is there any way to successfully hook up a new router for wi-fi to my old FiOS router.  I do not have FIOS TV and I don't have to have blazing fast speed.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wi-fi needs upgrade, but debating about keeping Verizon Fios Service (another big price increase
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Very easy. You will just connect the LAN port of your current Verizon router to the wireless access point(WAP). The WAP wiill be preconfigured with a default SSID and Password but you can change it if you want. 
You will also want to logjn to the Verizon router at 192.168.1.1 and disable the wifi since your new WAP will be providing the wifi. 

View solution in original post

Re: Wi-fi needs upgrade, but debating about keeping Verizon Fios Service (another big price increase
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

All old and current ONT models definitely have an ethernet port. What is you current speed? Depending on the speed you upgrade to you might not necessarily need to upgrade the ONT. 

In your case if you rather not make alot of big changes just connect a Wireless Access Point to your existing M1424WR. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1200-dual-band-wi-fi-access-point/5788604.p?skuId=5788604&ref...

mcmarya
Enthusiast - Level 2

That sounds like a workable solution--how difficult would this be to set up?

We currently have 50/50 with Verizon.  Photos of our ONT can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r77nM__SJet_awwdF1-f8m-MxH6rrGGG

Thank you for responding

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Very easy. You will just connect the LAN port of your current Verizon router to the wireless access point(WAP). The WAP wiill be preconfigured with a default SSID and Password but you can change it if you want. 
You will also want to logjn to the Verizon router at 192.168.1.1 and disable the wifi since your new WAP will be providing the wifi.