WiFi 6 Router settings and speeds
kfp673
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello all-  I received my new WiFi 6 Fios router from Verizon today and got it all set up.  I can say that connections "feel" faster with quick loads, but actual speed tests are no better than the old router.  I was specifically curious to test with my Iphone 11 which supports wifi6 and the fastest speed test I could run (I have gigabit fios) was 300 Mbps, exactly the same as the old AC router, and this was standing 1' from the new router.  During setup, I noticed the channel width is limited to 80Mhz and does not have an option for 160Mhz which based on my research is required to truely recognize increased Wifi6 speeds.  Can anyone explain 1-  why I dont see speed improvements via wifi and 2- why the channel width is the same as the previous AC router?  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi 6 Router settings and speeds
jonjones1
Legend

https://medium.com/@abhijitanand/what-is-wifi-6-get-answers-to-13-most-commonly-asked-questions-7cf3...

may answer your questions. It’s still not totally supported, and the devices that will use it are not that plentiful.

wifi is by its nature never going to be as fast as a solid direct connection.

you may have an iPhone but it by no means means it is fully functional on wifi6 no matter what a person reads. Case in point was I have a friend who just purchased an iPhone 11 and he told me today because Sprint/T-Mobile have 5G in our city. His new iPhone 11 has 5G. It does not. I told him he spent all that money to just buy an iPhone 12 in September 2020 for a phone that has the 5G capabilities.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://medium.com/@abhijitanand/what-is-wifi-6-get-answers-to-13-most-commonly-asked-questions-7cf3...

may answer your questions. It’s still not totally supported, and the devices that will use it are not that plentiful.

wifi is by its nature never going to be as fast as a solid direct connection.

you may have an iPhone but it by no means means it is fully functional on wifi6 no matter what a person reads. Case in point was I have a friend who just purchased an iPhone 11 and he told me today because Sprint/T-Mobile have 5G in our city. His new iPhone 11 has 5G. It does not. I told him he spent all that money to just buy an iPhone 12 in September 2020 for a phone that has the 5G capabilities.

0 Likes
Theos2020

I just noticed today that 160 MHz is now an option for some channels (50 is not there), however when you select 48 for example and 160 MHz, upon reboot it resumes on channel 36 @80Mhz.  Same behavior repeats for all channels with 160Mhz option.  Obviously they added the selection but it is not functioning properly.

0 Likes
disgruntledCust1

The Verizon website very clearly states that the G3100 router is WiFi 6 certified and has 160 MHz channels.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes