Re: WiFi Connect Utility for Mac?
silentlotus
Enthusiast - Level 1

we Mac users are paying Verizon for a service we are not getting

it is time we got a discount until this issue is resolved

Verizon please fix this !

vendude

This is outrageous. Verizon said they were working on this in 2009.

This is clearly a lie. 

as they are leasing the wifi from boingo it's clear they havee some other reason to prevent mac and ipad users from using the wifi. could it be sales of their connected phones? i suppose kind of obvious. ]

But this is bait and switch advertising. the small type is small and like all the res of the hidden fees upon renewing, the different reporting when signing up and then when renewing such that the difference between the top of the line triple play in years on and two  vs. the following years is by my figuring more than 1500 dollars more expensive. 

It seems petty and lame to be stingy about using wifi with a non proprietary client . 

Lamelamelame.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@vendude wrote:

This is outrageous. Verizon said they were working on this in 2009.

This is clearly a lie. 

as they are leasing the wifi from boingo it's clear they havee some other reason to prevent mac and ipad users from using the wifi. could it be sales of their connected phones? i suppose kind of obvious. ]

But this is bait and switch advertising. the small type is small and like all the res of the hidden fees upon renewing, the different reporting when signing up and then when renewing such that the difference between the top of the line triple play in years on and two  vs. the following years is by my figuring more than 1500 dollars more expensive. 

It seems petty and lame to be stingy about using wifi with a non proprietary client . 

Lamelamelame.

Since you seem to have missed it:

@ywlke wrote:

I'm not sure when this happened or if it's always been true, but you can use Verizon Wi-Fi with other devices now. Seehttp://wyang0.blogspot.com/2012/01/verizon-wi-fi-f​or-all-devices-mac-linux.html

0 Likes
joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another Mac app not ready for prime time.  Media Manager is another. Caller ID on the Mac another. The list goes on.

0 Likes
safe_as_milk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since you seem to have missed it:

ywlke wrote:

I'm not sure when this happened or if it's always been true, but you can use Verizon Wi-Fi with other devices now. See http://wyang0.blogspot.com/2012/01/verizon-wi-fi-f​or-all-devices-mac-linux.html

VERIZON CUSTOMERS DO NOT HAVE FREE ACCESS TO BOINGO HOTSPOTS FROM THEIR IPHONES
so, i decided to test the method for connecting an iphone to a boingo hotspot as described in william yang's blog. i used the boingo iphone app to locate the boingo hotspot in my neighborhood. it does not connect you with the hotspot from within the app. it seems to open a splash page in safari for the boingo hotspot. it asks for you username and password but there is no place to indicate that you are a roaming verizon customer. it is unable to log you in. i spent several minutes experimenting with safari and the boingo app and did not succeed in getting in as a verizon customer.
has anyone done this successfully with an iphone? i can't find anything on the web where someone claims to have gotten this to work with a verizon account. i would love to be proven wrong. somebody should start a class action lawsuit!
0 Likes
VerizonNot4Mac

Still NO SUPPORT for MAC or iPHONE!  Looks LIke I won't be buying my iPhone 5 from Verizon.  At&ts network is faster anyway.  

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@safe_as_milk wrote:

VERIZON CUSTOMERS DO NOT HAVE FREE ACCESS TO BOINGO HOTSPOTS FROM THEIR IPHONES

so, i decided to test the method for connecting an iphone to a boingo hotspot as described in william yang's blog. i used the boingo iphone app to locate the boingo hotspot in my neighborhood. it does not connect you with the hotspot from within the app. it seems to open a splash page in safari for the boingo hotspot. it asks for you username and password but there is no place to indicate that you are a roaming verizon customer.

it is unable to log you in. i spent several minutes experimenting with safari and the boingo app and did not succeed in getting in as a verizon customer. has anyone done this successfully with an iphone? i can't find anything on the web where someone claims to have gotten this to work with a verizon account. i would love to be proven wrong. somebody should start a class action lawsuit!

Did you use the username and password you created when you registered at  http://www.verizon.net/wifi/ for your WiFi account?

0 Likes
Goldmind1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just researching htis issue -- over TWO YEARS after this cop-out response. I find it inexplicable how Verizon can be so dismissive of the fastest growing OS for mobile devices. They sell the iPhone adn iPad! And almost 1/2 of smart phones run on IOS!  

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Goldmind wrote:

Just researching htis issue -- over TWO YEARS after this cop-out response. I find it inexplicable how Verizon can be so dismissive of the fastest growing OS for mobile devices. They sell the iPhone adn iPad! And almost 1/2 of smart phones run on IOS!  

This has been resolved. Verizon customers have access to Boing hotspots without the client. I'm not sure what you are upset about...

As an aside, Android has a larger market share than IOS. It's not "the fastest growing OS for mobile devices." Sorry.

pa19034

How does one access Boing hotspots with iOS or Droid?   thanks.

0 Likes