WiFi Extender WCB3000 causing DHCP hangs with G1100 Router?
MrConfused1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone experienced this error.  I only receive it when I connect the VZN entender to my Quantum router.  If I disconnect the extender my connectively is fine.  However, if I connect the extender, I will receive this error and the device hangs on reconnecting to the network. 

The behavior is intermittent.  Things will be fine for a period of time and then no connectivity through WiFi.  The client is an iPhone6.  When it occurs other clients (iPhone6 & 6S) experience the disconnects from the local Wifi and fall back to cell access.  Wifi Assist is turned off on the clients.  After a short period of time, the clients reconnect.

Dec 22 06:58:03 2015 local1.err<139> named[4100]: zone localhost/IN/guest-clients: not loaded due to errors.
Dec 22 06:58:03 2015 local1.err<139> named[4100]: zone localhost/IN/guest-clients: loading from master file localhost.zone failed: file not found
Dec 22 06:58:03 2015 local1.err<139> named[4100]: zone 127.in-addr.arpa/IN/guest-clients: not loaded due to errors.
Dec 22 06:58:03 2015 local1.err<139> named[4100]: zone 127.in-addr.arpa/IN/guest-clients: loading from master file 127.zone failed: file not found

The message is preceded by a series of DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPOFFER messages..

Firmware on Quantum router FiOS-G1100: 1.2.1.36.84

Firmware on WCB3000 - v0.12vz.29

I've allowed the extender to automatically configure and I've manually configured the channels to avoid overlap.  The behavior is same with both configurations.  DHCP is only active on the G1100 and disabled on the extender.   

Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Likes
Re: WiFi Extender WCB3000 causing DHCP hangs with G1100 Router?
MrConfused1
Enthusiast - Level 2

After a few additional tests, I suspect the issue is the handoff between the extender and gateway devices.  I was able to recreate the issue at a transition point in the home when the hand-off takes place. 

Any thoughts? 

0 Likes
abuladeen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having a similar problem. I get the same local DNS zone load errors over and over in my router log. They seem to have started with installation of a TP-LINK N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender with Pass-Through Outlet (TL-WA860RE). So far, in spite of helpful replies and suggestions, I don't understand this problem well enough to figure out what to do about it.

MrConfused1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've taken the WCB3000 off-line until I can resolve this as this issue completely hangs my network when it occurs.  I'm leaning towards the G1100 as the problem and some type of conflict of in reestablishing the connection after hand-off between the the G1100 and WCB3000.

Has anyone else experienced issues between WCB3000 and the G1100. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
jonstrong1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had the standard FIOS Actiontec router supporting in-home WiFi for the past few years, and added the WCB3000 at the other end of the house with a MOCA connection about a year ago. Everything seemed to be working well until we had an extended power outage when I was out of town - and when the power came back on my family had no usable Internet until Verizon remoted into the Actiontec box and reset it.

Since the reset, DNS resolution has been sporadic. We'll get great Internet response, name resolution, page loads, etc for a while, then we'll see our WiFi connection (both the 2.4 and 5GHz connections) reporting, "No Internet Connection". Within a couple of seconds, the "internet connection" reappears, and everything works again - until it doesn't. This can happen many times a day, sometimes every few minutes, and is absurdly frustrating.

I've rebooted the routers (both boxes) a few times. I've changed Wi-Fi channels from "automatic" to 1, 6 and 11.

No clues yet...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try logging in to router and do a factory default on config.

0 Likes
Obnor

Did anyone ever come up with a difinitive solution to this issue? 

I am experiencing the same thing.  No problems for an extended period, then this started happening.  I have the FIOS router (G1100) and two Actiontec MoCA extenders.  Everything was working fine (except for reluctance of portable devices to switch as you moved through the house), but now I'm seeing devices that are stationary and have sgtrong signal simply losing connectivity and being unable to reconnect, with the same log messages mentioned above ("zone localrp/IN/internal-clients: zone serial (2008122601) unchanged. zone may fail to transfer to slaves.")

0 Likes