WiFi channel selection when using multiple network extenders

SOLVED
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

WiFi channel selection when using multiple network extenders

Message 1 of 4
(896 Views)

I am using the Quantum Gateway router and just added a third network extender to my home network.  I have all four devices set to the same WiFi channel on 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  Is this the optimum setting, or should I change the channel settings to automatic so they're all on different channels?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: WiFi channel selection when using multiple network extenders

Message 2 of 4
(882 Views)

They should all be on different channels. If they are all the same them they will interfere with each other. On 2.4 GHz there are only 3 non-overlapping channels 1,6,11. On 5 GHz there are many more non-overlapping channel. 
It’s best if they are set to auto. You can also download a wifi analyzer tool from the Play Store if you have an Android phone/tablet. That will tell you the best channel to use at each location. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII

Message 2 of 4
(883 Views)

They should all be on different channels. If they are all the same them they will interfere with each other. On 2.4 GHz there are only 3 non-overlapping channels 1,6,11. On 5 GHz there are many more non-overlapping channel. 
It’s best if they are set to auto. You can also download a wifi analyzer tool from the Play Store if you have an Android phone/tablet. That will tell you the best channel to use at each location. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(835 Views)

Thanks.  I will change the channel selection on each device to auto.  Yes, I have the app you mentioned.  There are really no clear channels in my area since it's so congested.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 4
(824 Views)

@davidastronomy wrote:

Thanks.  I will change the channel selection on each device to auto.  Yes, I have the app you mentioned.  There are really no clear channels in my area since it's so congested.

The best thing to do would be to connect any devices you can to the 5GHz network. The 5 GHz radio waves don't travel as far and have less interference.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.