WiFi channel selection when using multiple network extenders
davidastronomy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using the Quantum Gateway router and just added a third network extender to my home network.  I have all four devices set to the same WiFi channel on 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  Is this the optimum setting, or should I change the channel settings to automatic so they're all on different channels?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi channel selection when using multiple network extenders
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

They should all be on different channels. If they are all the same them they will interfere with each other. On 2.4 GHz there are only 3 non-overlapping channels 1,6,11. On 5 GHz there are many more non-overlapping channel. 
It’s best if they are set to auto. You can also download a wifi analyzer tool from the Play Store if you have an Android phone/tablet. That will tell you the best channel to use at each location. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

They should all be on different channels. If they are all the same them they will interfere with each other. On 2.4 GHz there are only 3 non-overlapping channels 1,6,11. On 5 GHz there are many more non-overlapping channel. 
It’s best if they are set to auto. You can also download a wifi analyzer tool from the Play Store if you have an Android phone/tablet. That will tell you the best channel to use at each location. 

davidastronomy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I will change the channel selection on each device to auto.  Yes, I have the app you mentioned.  There are really no clear channels in my area since it's so congested.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@davidastronomy wrote:

Thanks.  I will change the channel selection on each device to auto.  Yes, I have the app you mentioned.  There are really no clear channels in my area since it's so congested.

The best thing to do would be to connect any devices you can to the 5GHz network. The 5 GHz radio waves don't travel as far and have less interference.