WiFi for Blu-Ray and TV
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anybody been able to connect their WiFi enabled Blu-Ray players or TVs to the Verizon routers? Mine are both Samsung, and neither of them will connect with my router. I have never had any other issues connecting wirelessly to my router. The signal strength is not full, but it's one or two bars under full strength. Is there a setting that I need to change inside the router?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi for Blu-Ray and TV
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@dslr595148 wrote:

Ok, that is great to hear that your issue is fixed.

Please consider marking as solved.

--

So, let me get this straight: Verizon helped you but Samsung did not?

Samsung tech support tried to help me...with their strong accent...they had me do stuff that I had already tried (they never mentioned checking the ALL CAPS that is defaulted on their products). But the Verizon tech support guy (with no accent) almost immediately told me to check my password...and this was the problem, in my case.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tony9r wrote:

Has anybody been able to connect their WiFi enabled Blu-Ray players or TVs to the Verizon routers? Mine are both Samsung, and neither of them will connect with my router. I have never had any other issues connecting wirelessly to my router. The signal strength is not full, but it's one or two bars under full strength. Is there a setting that I need to change inside the router?

Please supply the model numbers of the Samsung devices, and the Verizon router. It could be something specific to the Samsung configuration.

Perhaps we can look up the information on the devices and come up with some ideas.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Both my Samsung 3d tv and Blu-ray connected without any problem.  I had switched my FIOS router to WPA2 AES and passphrase, which is recommended for network security.  The default for my FIOS router was WEP with the SSID and WEP key that is printed on a decal on the router.

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

I changed my router to WPA2 AES like you suggested (I also tried TKIP+AES), but my Samsung devices still will not connect. My laptop and PS3 are connecting fine.

Here's the model #s:

Samsung TV - PN50C8000YF

Samsung Blu-Ray - BD-C6900

Verizon Router - MI424WR rev.D

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tony9r wrote:

I changed my router to WPA2 AES like you suggested (I also tried TKIP+AES), but my Samsung devices still will not connect. My laptop and PS3 are connecting fine.

Here's the model #s:

Samsung TV - PN50C8000YF

Samsung Blu-Ray - BD-C6900

Verizon Router - MI424WR rev.D

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Samsung has a really good documentation site. I will look there. I have all Samsung products and have been very satisfied. TV, Disc Player, and even a cloths washer. They make everything good. Now lets see Sony make a washer.

I have gone to the Blu-Ray site, and they have a very good trouble shooting section that has step by step instructions for setting up the wireless. Can you give it a try and let us know if it helps?

TV

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/search/supportSearchModelResult.do?menu=SP00&searchWord=PN50C8000Y...

Blu-Ray

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/search/supportSearchModelResult.do?menu=SP00&searchWord=BDC6900&se...

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. I went to the Samsung website and followed all the troubleshooting stuff but nothing is working. I even updated the software on both components but still no luck.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

When following step 1 here. Does your SSID display in the selections. If the SSID does display, it tells us the Blu-Ray is seeing the router.The SSID and WEP key is on the label attached to the router.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/supportHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=4170&howto_gu...

If it sees the router it must be an encryption issue. I would say reset the player and try the setup proceedure again from the start. If the player gets to the wireless setup and does not see the SSID, then there are other problems.

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did Live Chat with Samsung. They had me reset my Router and reset the Blu-Ray Player. Nothing worked.

Yes, it finds my SSID (router) when it does the scan. Then I enter my password, it processes for a minute, and then it says "Cannot connect to Access Point".

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tony9r wrote:

I did Live Chat with Samsung. They had me reset my Router and reset the Blu-Ray Player. Nothing worked.

Yes, it finds my SSID (router) when it does the scan. Then I enter my password, it processes for a minute, and then it says "Cannot connect to Access Point".

Now that is discouraging. I like Samsung. and was thinking of getting a BD player. Have you tried a hard wire connection if possible. It could be something being blocked that is not related to the wireless. Just a thought.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

One suggestion to try is to stop using WEP for Wireless -- particularly the default 40-bit stuff that's default.   Some devices nowadays seem to have trouble sorting out a key from a password (text representation of the key).

Try logging into the router (192.168.1.1) and going to the wireless settings and then the Advanced tab and changing the security method to WPA2.   Use a pre-shared key, pick a combination of letters and numbers of sufficient length for a password, AES, and leave the group key interval at whatever default is selected.

Apply

Then try connecting the Blu-Ray again and see what happens.   This will break wireless connectivity for your PC's until you switch them over to WPA2, so make this change from a hardwire connection.