Re: WiFi for Blu-Ray and TV
prisaz
Legend

Great idea Lasagna. Yes some look for a pass phrase and choke. I never enter it as a phrase. But perhaps that is what Samsung was looking for and choked. I have mine set to the highest WPA with 63 character shared key. I gave it to my daughter and told her if she can type it into her Ipod touch it would work. Took three tries.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

One suggestion to try is to stop using WEP for Wireless -- particularly the default 40-bit stuff that's default.   Some devices nowadays seem to have trouble sorting out a key from a password (text representation of the key).

Try logging into the router (192.168.1.1) and going to the wireless settings and then the Advanced tab and changing the security method to WPA2.   Use a pre-shared key, pick a combination of letters and numbers of sufficient length for a password, AES, and leave the group key interval at whatever default is selected.

Apply

Then try connecting the Blu-Ray again and see what happens.   This will break wireless connectivity for your PC's until you switch them over to WPA2, so make this change from a hardwire connection.

In one of my early posts I stated that I setup my router for WPA2 AES. My new WPA2 password is 8 characters with numbers and letters. My laptop and PS3 were updated to this WPA2 and connected with no problems. The Samsung TV and Blu-Ray player still will not connect.

Also, I have no way of connecting this stuff wired. I am too far away from the router.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Missed that ... I see you tried both AES and AES+TKIP.  The other thing to poke at is just WPA if you haven't tried that as well.  Just looking for a firmware glitch that maybe one security method will work where others fail.

Does the BluRay say it can't connect to the wireless network, or is it just saying it can't get service from the Internet.  Subtle difference -- I want to make sure we don't have a case of finding the network, but failing during the DHCP phase or for some other reason.

prisaz
Legend

"Yes, it finds my SSID (router) when it does the scan. Then I enter my password, it processes for a minute, and then it says "Cannot connect to Access Point"."

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

Missed that ... I see you tried both AES and AES+TKIP.  The other thing to poke at is just WPA if you haven't tried that as well.  Just looking for a firmware glitch that maybe one security method will work where others fail.

Does the BluRay say it can't connect to the wireless network, or is it just saying it can't get service from the Internet.  Subtle difference -- I want to make sure we don't have a case of finding the network, but failing during the DHCP phase or for some other reason.

The Blu-Ray says it cannot connect to the wireless network. It finds my router and shows 3 or 4 (out of 5) signal bars, but it just won't connect to it after I enter my pass phrase. The TV does the same exact thing.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

"Yes, it finds my SSID (router) when it does the scan. Then I enter my password, it processes for a minute, and then it says "Cannot connect to Access Point"."

Any chance that you have Mac authentication active?  If so you would have to the MAC's for each device added to the list of MAC address allowed.  As I mentioned before my samsungs connected including the same 3d Blu-ray player as yours.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm with tns on this ... if you're sure your connecting to the right SSID and have the right security encoding method and password, then MAC authentication would be the next thing to check.

MAC authentication is another one of those "security" things people do that is totally ineffective just like hiding the SSID broadcast.   Both of these keep no one who wants to hack your network out -- and while it might keep a neighbor from trying to get on your network accidentally (something which a good network password prevents), it really only serves to make your own life harder.

MAC authentication can be checked by logging into your router (http://192.168.1.1), going into Wireless Settings, and looking at the initial status page (second item from the bottom).  If it's turned on, you can turn it off by going to the Advanced Settings page and selecting Mac Authentication.

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

The MAC Authentication is OFF (Disabled) on my router. I really appreciate you suggestions. Any other ideas?

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yesterday I talked to Samsung and they had me try the "Manual" setup. So I called Verizon and got all the numbers (addresses) that are required (IP address, Subnet, Gateway, and DNS). So I entered all these numbers into the manual setup on the TV and Blu-Ray player...but they still will not connect.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2
Radio Enabled:YES
SSID:cccccccccccccccccc
Channel:Automatic
Security Enabled:YES
        WEP 64-bit:N/A
        WEP 802.1x:N/A
        WPA2:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SSID Broadcast:Disabled
MAC Authentication:Enabled
Wireless Mode:Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections
Received Packets:3392749

I cannot think of too many other things to check.  I have the same router, a different SAMSUNG TV with Samsung Wireless adapter, and the same Samsung 3d Blu-Ray player.  You mentioned the Samsung's are updated to latest maintenance.   How about the routers.  All my settings are displayed above (ssid and WPA2 passphrase are not shown).  Note I original connected with SSID broadcast enabled and Mac authentication disabled, and changed those later.  Firmware update page (advanced options) is below

Firmware Upgrade
Visit upgrade.actiontec.com for upgrade support, upgrade options and information.

Current Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3
Upgrade From the Internet:
Automatically Check for New Versions and Upgrade Wireless Broadband RouterAutomatically Check for New Versions and Notify via EmailAutomatic Check Disabled
Check every hours at URL
Check in progress...

Internet Version: Wireless Broadband Router is up to date
0 Likes