Re: WiFi for Blu-Ray and TV
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmmm ... seeing the summary page like someone else posted from your router (ssid and password redacted) might gives us a clue.   Do you know anyone else who would have a spare WiFi access point/router you could borrow?   We could try something going that route as a test.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Just for testing purposes, have you tried simply turning off all wireless security and leaving the wireless wide open? And then try connecting that way? You of course dont want to leave it this way, but just try connecting to see if the devices will even do wireless properly?

Can the TV and bluray player have static IPs set in them? My neighbor has a sony bluray that would not connect no matter what we did. Finally we just set up a static IP on the BR and it suddenly started working. It just wouldnt do DHCP. Maybe yours are doing something similar?

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

Hmmm ... seeing the summary page like someone else posted from your router (ssid and password redacted) might gives us a clue.   Do you know anyone else who would have a spare WiFi access point/router you could borrow?   We could try something going that route as a test.

I might have someone who has a spare router. So would I just connect this extra WiFi router to my existing Verizon router with an Ethernet cable...and then try to connect wirelessly thru this new router?

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

Just for testing purposes, have you tried simply turning off all wireless security and leaving the wireless wide open? And then try connecting that way? You of course dont want to leave it this way, but just try connecting to see if the devices will even do wireless properly?

Can the TV and bluray player have static IPs set in them? My neighbor has a sony bluray that would not connect no matter what we did. Finally we just set up a static IP on the BR and it suddenly started working. It just wouldnt do DHCP. Maybe yours are doing something similar?

Yes, before I posted this thread, I turned off my original WEP security and had it wide open. No luck.

How would I know if they my components have static IPs set in them? I was checking for this when I was logged into my router, but because they won't connect, I can't see their IPs. Is this what you mean?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

actually this would not be a setting in the router. its would be one on the BR and TV. When you go into the "network settings" in the Bluray menu, does it give you an option for "manual setup", where it will let you put in the IP, Subnet, default gateway, and dns servers? If so you can try putting in numbers and see if they will work.

If you can, try these settings...

IP  = 192.168.1.20 (for BR) and 192.168.1.30 (For TV)  ( I just chose numbers that should not be used by anything else)

subnet    = 255.255.255.0

default gateway  = 192.168.1.1

DNS  =  4.2.2.1  and 4.2.2.2

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Little more complicated than just connecting the routers together ... if you've got access to one however, we can  walk thru reconfiguring it to do a test.  

My suggested approach would be to reconfigure the borrowed router to using the network 192.168.2.x, configure a different SSID and security key using WPA2 or whatever it has available, and then connect it's WAN port to a LAN port on the Verizon router.

The see if your BluRay will connect to the "borrowed" routers WiFi SSID.

This is not the optimal desired end-state configuration, but for purposes of testing it should work.  We can look further into walking thru a better configuration once we know if this test is successful.

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

actually this would not be a setting in the router. its would be one on the BR and TV. When you go into the "network settings" in the Bluray menu, does it give you an option for "manual setup", where it will let you put in the IP, Subnet, default gateway, and dns servers? If so you can try putting in numbers and see if they will work.

If you can, try these settings...

IP  = 192.168.1.20 (for BR) and 192.168.1.30 (For TV)  ( I just chose numbers that should not be used by anything else)

subnet    = 255.255.255.0

default gateway  = 192.168.1.1

DNS  =  4.2.2.1  and 4.2.2.2

In a previous post, I stated that Verizon gave me all the addresses that I would need for the "Manual setup". This did not work.

So I just now tried your addresses and it did no work either. (FYI, your numbers were totally different than what the Verizon guy told me over the phone).

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Either set of numbers from what you were saying the Verizon guy told you should have worked.   spacedebris just selected some different options when providing you with numbers to try (there are numerous alternate valid configurations options which are all acceptable and functionally equivalent).

Your problem it sounds like is not with these settings, but getting you on the network in the first place.  So that's what we need to solve first.  Once we have that fixed, then hopefully you won't need the manual settings.  Any luck trying the spare router idea?  

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

Either set of numbers from what you were saying the Verizon guy told you should have worked.   spacedebris just selected some different options when providing you with numbers to try (there are numerous alternate valid configurations options which are all acceptable and functionally equivalent).

Your problem it sounds like is not with these settings, but getting you on the network in the first place.  So that's what we need to solve first.  Once we have that fixed, then hopefully you won't need the manual settings.  Any luck trying the spare router idea?  

No sir. I do not have access to a spare router like I was hoping. Maybe I should have Verizon come to my house, swap out my router, and get my Samsung stuff connected?

0 Likes
tony9r
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got off the phone with Verizon support and I explained everything to him. The first thing he said was "your password is case sensitive, so make sure you are typing it correctly". I just about threw my remote across the room because I had a bad feeling that this was the problem. So sure enough, this time, before I typed my password, I realized that **bleep** **bleep** Samsung defaults their letters in ALL CAPS! THIS IS SO {please keep your posts courteous}! I'm sorry, but I am extremely **bleep** off right now. I'm sorry that I wasted all of your time with this **bleep** issue.

0 Likes