WiFi signal dropping on iPad and Apple TV
jimboc2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently was upgraded to a new FIOS router.  Everything has gone fine except I have connectivity issues with two of my devices - an iPad 2 and an Apple TV (2nd Generation).  What happens is this:  the device connects fine, but every 30 seconds or so the signal will drop and then in a few seconds it reconnects.  Pretty frustrating ... I know it is not the device itself, because it worked great with the old router and it works fine when connecting to WiFi anywhere else.  I also have other Apple devices (iPhone & iPod Touch) that connect fine, so I know it is not just an Apple issue either.

The router is Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

Firmware: 40.19.22

Security: WPA2

Anyone else having the same issue or have any tips? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi signal dropping on iPad and Apple TV
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I can tell you from experience, that all my channels show good signal strength, but only one of them performs well.   So I would try 1, and also 11.     just to be sure.  it takes seconds to do and could be a good fix if it works.  it fixed my Media Streaming to a point, and then I downloaded InSSIDer and I got to see all the interference from my neighbors.  I have a small densely populated area and I have at least 12 - 20 neighbors that are interfering with my signal.  That program also shows you who is all on the 2.4 ghz range vs the 5ghz range, and so eventually I had to buy a 5ghz router, and all my problems were solved.  So you might have to go a similiar direction, but you want to verify all your basics before you shell out anything at all.  you might be able to fix it with the channel changing or simply moving it to a more central location.  The channel changing worked for me for years, and then the problem got so severe, and I had replaced the router a couple times with no difference, and so I had to start looking at other solutions, and eventually that is when I found that a 5ghz router would serve me better, and it did. 

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

How do I change my router's wireless channel?

Go into your Actiontec router (if you are using for wireless) by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser.  Default user name is: admin and the default password: Look at the service tag it will be labeled 'login password'   Click on Wireless settings on the top, basic security on the left, and change your channel.  I would start with channel 11, 6, or 1.  Click Apply. 

You have to try all three channels and see which has the best strongest signal for you, and also think about where the router is physically located.  Make sure it's elevated on a desk and not on the ground, that it is standing upright with the antenna facing upwards or towards your network, and also make sure it's in a room that gives you the best connection.  The fios is delivered over coax cable so that means you can hook it up in any room that has a working fios TV outlet.  you just need a 2 way 5-1000 mhz TV splitter (very cheap at any electronic retailer and even cheaper online at www.monoprice.com or amazon.com

imageimage

0 Likes
jimboc2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response, but I know it is not the signal strength.  The ipad shows WiFi at full strength (all bars) but still drops the connection every 30 seconds or so even when I am in the same room as the router. 

I switched the router channel from Automatic to channel 6 and still no luck.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I can tell you from experience, that all my channels show good signal strength, but only one of them performs well.   So I would try 1, and also 11.     just to be sure.  it takes seconds to do and could be a good fix if it works.  it fixed my Media Streaming to a point, and then I downloaded InSSIDer and I got to see all the interference from my neighbors.  I have a small densely populated area and I have at least 12 - 20 neighbors that are interfering with my signal.  That program also shows you who is all on the 2.4 ghz range vs the 5ghz range, and so eventually I had to buy a 5ghz router, and all my problems were solved.  So you might have to go a similiar direction, but you want to verify all your basics before you shell out anything at all.  you might be able to fix it with the channel changing or simply moving it to a more central location.  The channel changing worked for me for years, and then the problem got so severe, and I had replaced the router a couple times with no difference, and so I had to start looking at other solutions, and eventually that is when I found that a 5ghz router would serve me better, and it did. 

Hubrisnxs
Legend

if the channels don't work, come back and let us know and others can offer some advice, something might even clue for me other than what I have mentioned, don't give up on it, a lot of us have similiar issues and some great success stories. 

jimboc2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, Hubrisnxs! I changed the channel on the router from 6 to 1 and both my iPad and Apple TV have been working great ever since... no WiFi drops at all!

I'm very glad to have this fixed as it was very frustraing.  I am curious... what causes this?  Is it other WiFi signals in the area operating on channel 6 causing interferrance, or is it just a mystery? I was getting drops when the channel was set to automatic and when I changed it to 6.

Again, thank you for your help in resolving this!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's mostly Wi-Fi networks using specific channels that causes problems, and if there are busy networks around you'll find Wi-Fi performance will get spotty. The same goes with the increase of Wireless devices. You'll have more signal issues the more devices you put into a single area. Let's not also forget though, there are plenty of devices out there that use 2.4Ghz, so if a neighbor for example purchased a Baby Monitor, those things clobber spectrum like crazy (I've seen these jam Wi-Fi in a Campground before). Or, say someone's microwave is leaking which is not a good thing. That messes with Wi-Fi too. Cordless phones if they're older can do this too. Also, something more fundamental is the quality of the chipset and antennas being used on either end of the Wireless communication. If the gear isn't as well designed to handle noise or high traffic environments, it will be more prone to dropping the signal or performing poorly.

Basically it's hard to tell without using a spectrum analyzer and a combination of Wi-Fi scanning software to determine where the noise could be coming from.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I too recently was upgraded to a new FIOS router for the new Quantum speed 50 mbps.  Everything has been going fine but I have connectivity issues with two devices - an iPad 2 and an ipod touch 4.  What happens is this:  the device connects fine, but every 30 seconds or so the signal will drop and then in a few seconds it reconnects. I reset the router previously and that solved the problem for a few weeks, but the issue has returned. I know it is not the device itself, because it worked great with the old router and it works fine when connecting to WiFi anywhere else.  I also have other Apple devices (iPhone, ipad 3, apple tv) that connect fine, so I know it is not just an Apple issue either.

Is the simple solution just changing the channel or could the problem be deeper?

Router - Actiontec MI424WR - red and black (GigE for Verizon FiOS) 

http://http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=214

Security - WPA2

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It should be as simple as changing the channel and disabling auto channel scan. If not then it can be investigated further.

0 Likes
jimboc2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disabling the autochannel and setting it to channel 1 worked for me.  I haven't had any drops on my ipad or Apple TV since.  I tried channel 6 before that, but it didn't work...  still had drops.  The channels I was told to try were 1, 6 or 11.

Hope it works for you!

0 Likes