WiFi speed
Topkick2

I currently have an Actiontec Ml424WR router and I can only get 23mbs download speed through it.  I'm suscribed to 75/75 service.  If I install a Gateway G1100 router will that increase my WiFi speed or will it stay the same? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: WiFi speed
jonjones1
Legend

@Topkick wrote:

I currently have an Actiontec Ml424WR router and I can only get 23mbs download speed through it.  I'm suscribed to 75/75 service.  If I install a Gateway G1100 router will that increase my WiFi speed or will it stay the same? Thanks.

I don’t really know. However if you are getting 23 Mbps that is slow. And paying for 75/75? I would hope that speed you are posting is under WiFi and not a direct ethernet connection. If it is a direct connection I would call Verizon and have them check your provisioned speeds.

Are you presently on coaxial or what they refer to as MOCA? 

The Verizon Quantum Gateway Router in my opinion is junk. I use a customer owned router but then again I am on ethernet with gigabyte speed.

in your situation the Quantum would be an upgrade. But remember the best router in the world with great WiFi coverage will only be as good as the devices that connect to it.

also if you do get the Quantum buy it outright, rental fees over two years or more will be wasting money. It runs from $99-$150 depending on where you purchase from.

0 Likes
Topkick2

The download speed I'm talking about is through the WiFi.  I get 81mbs through my ethernet connection, but when I'm using my laptop on the WiFi I only get 23 mbs.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Topkick wrote:

The download speed I'm talking about is through the WiFi.  I get 81mbs through my ethernet connection, but when I'm using my laptop on the WiFi I only get 23 mbs.

That would be correct. Since WiFi can be half of connect ethernet speeds.

now factor in the laptops WiFi may not be fast enough, or processor speeds may not be top of the line. Many factors can be in play.

If you have a newer iPhone (I use Apple devices) or iPad you can see faster WiFi speeds which can be checked at http://www.speedtest.com by Ookula

which should show a little over provisioned speeds. 

0 Likes