WiFi started dropping out yesterday
Milman1
When I left the house on Friday September 12, my WiFi was working, as it has for a whole year, on all the computers in my house, upstairs and down. I got home that afternoon, and suddenly the WiFi is dropping out, on my iPad, Verizon Samsung cellphone, and MacBook, which are no more than 6 feet away from my Verizon MI424WR router. The upstairs computer doesn't find the WiFi at all. I called Customer Service and felt like I was being subject to death by talking by the rep, who essentially said that Verizon can't guarantee WiFi, and had me download a program I don't know how to work. I was so exasperated I almost hung up on the rep-I felt like that poor guy who was trying to cancel his service and got talked to death. I'm not a complete computer idiot! If I can change broadcast channels or something, just walk me through the process. What good is a wireless router if I can't use it? HELP PLEASE!
0 Likes
Re: WiFi started dropping out yesterday
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may want to ask Verizon for a new router if you're currently renting one from them. Otherwise this could be from interference, which should be fixable by changing your router's wireless channel. There are numerous guides on the Internet and this forum on how to do this.

0 Likes
Re: WiFi started dropping out yesterday
john414

After about a year my wifi began to drop out intermittantly with the actiontec MI424WR router.  Eventually Verizon agreed to replace the router after total wifi failure.  I just received the replacement router, a refurb (scratches, big green Quality Control sticker).  Immediately after setting up wi-fi is dropping out.  I have reset for 10 seconds, unplugged power cord for 60+ seconds as instructed, still drop outs.

I am trying to access wi-fi on my phone about 3 feet from the router with clear line of sight.  My phone picks up neighbors (password protected) wifi signals no problem (when phone is unable to get a signal from the adjacent adaptec), no problem at starbucks or other access points.

The router is flawed and it obviously Verizon would incur significant cost to provide a product that actually worked, which I suspect is why "Customer Service" delays sending out the replacements.  The replacements are probably the exact same products people are returning, with no fixes.  Not a very happy customer...unfortunately I don't think Verizon cares at all..

I'm about to start the runaround with Verizon again, if you figure anything out please post.

0 Likes