Wifi Extender
BORN2REBEL

If I plug an ethernet cord into the Fios extender, for a computer, will it give me the same performance as a hardwired connection, or do you lose something because it is through the extender.  I am hoping it is the same performance as hardwired because it is through the cable line , even though it isn't through the primary router. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi Extender
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no. The coax feeding the extender is MoCA 2.0 so you will only get up to 400 mbps. If your internet speed is less than 400 the answer is yes. If you have the gigabit connection then no. Either way up to 400 mbps is mpre than enough for most things. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no. The coax feeding the extender is MoCA 2.0 so you will only get up to 400 mbps. If your internet speed is less than 400 the answer is yes. If you have the gigabit connection then no. Either way up to 400 mbps is mpre than enough for most things. 

0 Likes
cpaatplay

Thanks. I did not realize the extender degraded the performance that significantly. As a result of reading your post, I conplained about the tech install job (I just moved in) because they put my $199 router in the basement next to the ONT terminal and they made me rent an extender for my office @ $6 month even though the run is probably less than 30 feet. I didn't realize any of this until I needed another ethernet connection (the extender has 2 while the actual router has 4) and it wasn't available. Hopefully, they will fix this thing correctly, since paying for gigibit and not getting it because of the install (which I also paid for) seems a little disingenious. Pete

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cpaatplay wrote:

Thanks. I did not realize the extender degraded the performance that significantly. As a result of reading your post, I conplained about the tech install job (I just moved in) because they put my $199 router in the basement next to the ONT terminal and they made me rent an extender for my office @ $6 month even though the run is probably less than 30 feet. I didn't realize any of this until I needed another ethernet connection (the extender has 2 while the actual router has 4) and it wasn't available. Hopefully, they will fix this thing correctly, since paying for gigibit and not getting it because of the install (which I also paid for) seems a little disingenious. Pete

You can also plug a switch into the extender for more ports. But if they are coming back out have them run the ethernet to the office and take the extender off the bill. 

Just so you know Verizon techs are not required to cut drywall or wall fish. Hopefully 3/8 inch hole in the floor for the cat 6 is ok. Otherwise I would get an electrician to do the work. Hope it all works out for you. 

0 Likes