Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Wifi bad outdoors change to Google wifi?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Wifi bad outdoors change to Google wifi?

Message 1 of 3
(926 Views)

I have fios quantum router the newest from Verizon. I noticed when I am outside my porch the wifi signal drops considerably. The router is about 20' away. The walls are sheetrock nothing to prevent the signal to degrade. I was reading about Google wifi. Does that mean I eliminate the fios router?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Wifi bad outdoors change to Google wifi?

Message 2 of 3
(911 Views)

There are tons of different choices if you don't want to use a Verizon supplied router. 

I have no experience with Google wifi mesh system, but suspect other routers may be even better.

For verizon routers 20 feet is unusually low range.  I can get a signal well away from the house (to a router originally supplied by Verizon, although I am now Frontier), although I actually usually connect to a different router I have in my network.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I

Re: Wifi bad outdoors change to Google wifi?

Message 3 of 3
(892 Views)

@xxnonamexx wrote:

I have fios quantum router the newest from Verizon. I noticed when I am outside my porch the wifi signal drops considerably. The router is about 20' away. The walls are sheetrock nothing to prevent the signal to degrade. I was reading about Google wifi. Does that mean I eliminate the fios router?

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Section 3.1 will assist you in your questions. You can use any good router. Your last post said something about a Netgear Nighthawk that is a fantastic router. There is also Asus and TP Link etc. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.