Wifi errors and network extenders
m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the G1100 router. I recently replaced two WCB3000N extenders with two WCB6200Q extenders and at the same time, I enabled SON (self-organizing network). The router and extenders are each on different floors of the house.

I'm losing wifi connectivity on mobile devices when I move from one floor to the other. When connectivity drops (most noticeable when I'm playing a video/music and then move between floors), and I look at the Wifi settings on the mobile device, under my network's name, where it should show "Connected", I usually see one of two errors:

1. internet may not be available

2. authentication error occurred

If I wait a long time, it will usually resolve itself, but it's quicker for me to turn off wifi, turn it back on, and then the device connects to the network just fine (presumably to the network device on the floor that I moved to).

Any suggestions on how to get more seamless handoffs as I move around the house? Should I disable SON?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi errors and network extenders
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would personally disable SON and see how that works. There are alot of post on here with SON issues. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would personally disable SON and see how that works. There are alot of post on here with SON issues. 

m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. Disabling SON seems to have resolved the connectivity issues.

Without SON, in a house with G11 router and multiple network extenders (WCB6200Q), when you move a mobile device around the house, since there is only one 2.4Ghz network, how does the mobile device or network know to make the switch to the closest network extender?