Wifi extender or second router? With minor complications
brysdavis
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've got Fios service into the basement, where the coax is immediately split to several runs around the house.  One of these goes to a new Gateway router which I use to provide ethernet and wireless connection throughout the house.  Wifi on the third floor is moderate to poor, and we're planning to stream Netflix and use an Xbox (online) on there.

I suspect running new wire to the third floor from the current router sounds like the best option, but it's problematic.  I think I can do one of two things:  1) use a wifi range extender from a second floor coax run, or 2) Add a second router to the second floor coax.

The first question is can I do either of these things even though the coax to the second floor splits off BEFORE the router?  Seccond, if I go the router option, will I be creating a new wireless network?  Is there setup I need to handle for that?  In particular I'm thinking security.

I was planning to use an Actiontec Moca ECB6200 to add the device (coax -> MoCA ECB6200 -> connect to router or extender), but I'm unsure about the whole plan.  I still have my old Fios router (Actiontec MI424-WR) to use if that's useful.

Lastly, there is a chance I could run ethernet from the second floor up to third.  If I do this, can I simply run ethernet from the ECB6200 up there?  Will that ethernet cable actually be on the same network as the Gateway router?  I could add a switch on the third floor to connect TV, Xbox, etc.

Sorry this is long-winded, I guess that's why I need some real help.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Wifi extender or second router? With minor complications
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any reason not to move router to first or second floor?

Or if you can run ethernet, then you can use any router you want.

I believe the ECB will provide a connection on the same subnet as the other devices in your hosue.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You might take a look at this option:

https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-accessories/fios-network-extender/

You could plug it in to the coax feedling your top floor and get WiFi and Ethernet service from that location.

I have a WCB3000N, it's simple to setup and works pretty well.

brysdavis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  The coax comes into the basement and the router is on the first floor.  It's just running new cable up to the third floor that poses a problem.  The ECB may be worth trying.

And you think the ECB will work, even though it would be connected to a coax run that splits off before the router?  The split is in the basement, after the Fios box and before the router.

Thanks.

0 Likes
brysdavis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Eljefe.  I'd like to do that, but its the third floor coax that isn't working.  Might try the second floor though, and see if the Wifi extender does the trick from there.  And one day I may have the chance to run ethernet from that location up to the third floor.

Thanks.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok.  I missed that the coax isn't working on the third floor.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

0 Likes