Will FiOS ever be available in my area?
dandog002

I'm unhappy with my Comcast service, but it's unfortunatly sad that it's still the best internet in my area. I was wondering if FiOS would ever come to my area. 

EDIT: Forgot to say where I live, I live in Burnsville, Minnesota, part of the Twin Cities metro area.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will FiOS ever be available in my area?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is not expanding FiOS.  In fact, Verizon is selling off major chunks of FiOS and landline to Frontier communications.  They are keeping the mid-Atlantic and New England areas; that's about it.

They are continuing to fill in FiOS in areas that they have already committed plans, such as NYC.  If you live with a FiOS footprint and they haven't gotten to you yet, you may get it.  If you don't live within a FiOS footprint you won't get it.  Period.

Sorry.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Highly unlikely.

Verizon has stated that they will be concentrating on their current service areas.

But there is talk of an IP TV service later this year.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is not expanding FiOS.  In fact, Verizon is selling off major chunks of FiOS and landline to Frontier communications.  They are keeping the mid-Atlantic and New England areas; that's about it.

They are continuing to fill in FiOS in areas that they have already committed plans, such as NYC.  If you live with a FiOS footprint and they haven't gotten to you yet, you may get it.  If you don't live within a FiOS footprint you won't get it.  Period.

Sorry.

nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

I hate to say it but your best bet is to wait for Google Fiber ....SIGH...I know that is a tough road to hold

0 Likes
Optimax

I feel your pain. I am in Ohio, and the down/up speeds are terrible almost everywhere. I live near a large university, and in a large city/subcities... and I am having to run on 18down/1up throught AT&T junk. 

0 Likes