Will extender Work with coaxial if my router is connected via Ethernet?
Gabegabe2

I have a gateway router that is connected from the ont via Ethernet.  I’d like to get an extender for our fourth floor.  The house is wired for coaxial, but note Ethernet (other than the connection between the ont and the router.

if I get an extender and connect it Via splitting the coaxial, will it work?   Or does it need an Ethernet connection from the router?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Will extender Work with coaxial if my router is connected via Ethernet?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It will work on coax even if your router is connected via ethernet WAN but there also needs to be coax connected to your router going back to the main splitter. The coax going to the 4th also has to be tied into that same splitter to create the MoCA link. 

Gabegabe2

Thanks!    The coaxial also goes into the router, along with two tv boxes.   I’ll route the 4Th split of the coaxial to the to the extender.   Thanks!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. I’m not sure what your internet speed is but the extender connected to coax is limited up to speeds of 400 mbps. 

testeditor2
Enthusiast - Level 1

My set up is like Gabegabe2's, ethernet only to router upstairs but also coax to that same router and to extender (WCB6200Q) in basement near TV.  I have bought a Google OnHub WiFi to replace router rented from Verizon. It works to provide wifi, but the extender won't work with it.  The extender does not have a ethernet in socket. Do I need a different extender-- or do I need a different router?  Thanks for any pointers.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@testeditor2 wrote:

My set up is like Gabegabe2's, ethernet only to router upstairs but also coax to that same router and to extender (WCB6200Q) in basement near TV.  I have bought a Google OnHub WiFi to replace router rented from Verizon. It works to provide wifi, but the extender won't work with it.  The extender does not have a ethernet in socket. Do I need a different extender-- or do I need a different router?  Thanks for any pointers.

Either of the two ethernet ports on the back of the WCB6200Q will work. Just run your ethernet from the Google router to one of the two ethernet ports and you’ll be good. The other ethernet can also be used to hardwire something. 

If you need to change the wifi on it get the 6200s IP address from your Google router and type that into your browser. The login credentials are on the sticker on the back of the 6200. 

testeditor2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  It's probably impractical or at least expensive and disruptive for me to run a cable from new Google wifi router to basement extender.  But I could easily split the ethernet cable that runs from ONT to router and have it also go to the extender.  So ethernet would split from ONT to Google Wifi router and to extender.  Is that likely to work?  I appreciate your expertise on this.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@testeditor2 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  It's probably impractical or at least expensive and disruptive for me to run a cable from new Google wifi router to basement extender.  But I could easily split the ethernet cable that runs from ONT to router and have it also go to the extender.  So ethernet would split from ONT to Google Wifi router and to extender.  Is that likely to work?  I appreciate your expertise on this.

Yes that would probably be an easier solution. You can come out of ONT to Google. Maybe Google to a switch and use existing feed from ONT into switch to feed the extender. Only reason I say to put switch in between is because Google router only has one ethernet port. 

0 Likes
testeditor2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Edg1 wrote:Yes that would probably be an easier solution. You can come out of ONT to Google. Maybe Google to a switch and use existing feed from ONT into switch to feed the extender. Only reason I say to put switch in between is because Google router only has one ethernet port. 

Sorry to be dumb here but not following this, specifically "Maybe Google to a switch..."

I have an ethernet cable from ONT to Google TP-link onHub (guess I should have specified that before). The issue is getting extender that I got from Verizon to work in basement, near ONT. I want to avoid running more long cables from TP-link. I had wondered if I split the ethernet cable near the ONT and take it to the extender as well as to the remote TP-link the extender would "hear" the TP-link.  I just talked to Google WiFi tech support, though, and they said the TP-link is not compatible with existing extender.  They said I would have to buy a AC-1304 Google WiFi to use in the basement.  It does not need to be hard-wired. So much as I don't especially want to have to buy a new item it looks as though that might be best.  Unless I return the TP-link and keep renting my Verizon router.  Appreciate the help in any event.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

My thought was basically to swap the Google router and the Verizon extender. You can't really split the WAN connection from the ONT since you only get one IP address from Verizon. 

I was thinking move the Google to basement and connect it to the ONT. Then take the ethernet that's running upstairs out of the ONT and plug that into Google LAN port. That ethernet will then feed the Verizon extender upstairs. 

The only reason I brought up an ethernet switch is because Google routers only have one LAN port so if you intend to hardwire anything else other than the Verizon extender you'll need a switch connected to the Google's LAN port. 

0 Likes