quick menu

Will extender Work with coaxial if my router is connected via Ethernet?

Will extender Work with coaxial if my router is connected via Ethernet?

Contributor Gabegabe2
Contributor

I have a gateway router that is connected from the ont via Ethernet.  I’d like to get an extender for our fourth floor.  The house is wired for coaxial, but note Ethernet (other than the connection between the ont and the router.

if I get an extender and connect it Via splitting the coaxial, will it work?   Or does it need an Ethernet connection from the router?

3 REPLIES
MVP Edg1 MVP
MVP

It will work on coax even if your router is connected via ethernet WAN but there also needs to be coax connected to your router going back to the main splitter. The coax going to the 4th also has to be tied into that same splitter to create the MoCA link. 

Contributor Gabegabe2
Contributor

Thanks!    The coaxial also goes into the router, along with two tv boxes.   I’ll route the 4Th split of the coaxial to the to the extender.   Thanks!

Highlighted
MVP Edg1 MVP
MVP

No problem. I’m not sure what your internet speed is but the extender connected to coax is limited up to speeds of 400 mbps. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
My Fios App
Fios TV App
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios