WinXP and M1424WR Router
kundalinirise

I had Windows Vista on the computer previously, and everytime I install Vista, the connection is instantenous, and there is no work to be done to connect to the internet.

I recently took this same computer and installed WinXP on the harddrive. Now I need to find out how to connect to the internet, and I come up empty handed when looking for information on the net.

Shouldn't there be a driver download for the m1424wr router? I connect the router to the computer using an ethernet cable, so the wireless aspect is not involved. Other computers in the house that are connected wirelessly to the router are still connected to the internet.

Normally, I would download a driver, connect the cable modem or router, install software for the router, using a CD or downloaded software and a specific driver, and the connection would be detected and I could acess the internet.

Now there doesn't seem to be a driver, or install software for this router.

That's fine with VISTA because there is literally no work needed to install/connect, I assume because of some added features/drivers in the OS, but now I am in need of some information/help.

Is there a driver I need to download and install with the router to get my, now, WinXP computer to recognize the connection?

The connection seems to be up, by the display lights on the router, but I can't connect to 192.168.1.1 or anything else.

I've never really used the windows network connection wizards to actually connect to the internet, seeing how that was never needed before. Do I need to configure them? I have no connections currently, there is only the "Network & Connections" option in the control panel and it is empty/waiting to be set up.

Thanks for any help coming my way.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WinXP and M1424WR Router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK

You should have downloaded SP47108.exe  (intel drivers) and SP45742 (broadcom drivers)

Run both of them and they will generate the driver installation packages in a folder called

C:\SWSETUP and there will be 2 subfolders with the SP names above

For the intel drives go to SP47108 and run IntInst.bat

For the broadcom drivers go to SP45742 and run BCMinst.bat

One will run succesfully and one wil fail, at the end you should have a working nic.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kundalinirise

Obviously I need to install the drivers that would be on the original OS cd that came with the computer, and not on the one I am using now, as a downgraded alternative.

My computer is the HP dc5800

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3658083&...

I am looking here to find the drivers that I need, I am going through them now. If you could point out which one's, I would appreciate it, thanks.

0 Likes
kundalinirise

Can't seem to find the right drivers to download. I'm using the HP DC5800, and looking on that webpage to find drivers to get that computer to work with WINXP and the verizon fios router. I also have no sound and am looking for that driver as well.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are no drivers needed for the router.  You need at a minimum the driver for the network card and once that is loaded you can go an get all the rest.  You will find the nic driver, and all the other drivers, as below.

Go to

www.hp.com

Select Support and drivers

Under step 1 select Download drivers and software (firmware)

under step 2 enter dc5800 and push go

on the next page select your model out of the 2 presented

on the next page select your os (XP)

then select all the drivers you need and download them

You'll need a flash drive or the like to get them from wherever you downloaded them onto your HP machine

0 Likes
kundalinirise

Ok, I've been doing this with the flash drive, testing drivers here and there, I will go now and try to find the one's for the NIC and see if this works, thanks for the advice! I have a feeling this is what I need to do, and I just need to find the correct driver.

The only problem is that I see that it only has WIN XP PRO, and I have WIN XP Home.

Will this stop me from finding a solution? Thank you.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kundalinirise wrote:

Ok, I've been doing this with the flash drive, testing drivers here and there, I will go now and try to find the one's for the NIC and see if this works, thanks for the advice! I have a feeling this is what I need to do, and I just need to find the correct driver.

The only problem is that I see that it only has WIN XP PRO, and I have WIN XP Home.

Will this stop me from finding a solution? Thank you.

XP pro and XP home are the same driver

0 Likes
kundalinirise

Excellent, well, I've downloaded most of the network drivers, and some firmware (matters?) and I don't think they've had an effect.

I'm also on the phone with verizon, who informed me of the same advice. Thanks, I will continue....or find a new VISTA CD.

Why oh why did I let it get lost....(friend).

😕

0 Likes
kundalinirise

If you could find the drivers that may work, again, I'd appreciate it.

Although I may not need them now. I called Verizon. They transfered me to HP. Hp transfered me to the microtower department.

With each successive transfer, the clarity, speed, and accent of the individual I was speaking with became better and better, : D (outsourcing).

Finally, he directed me to the same Driver and Support page where I revealed that I was using Home and he informed that Pro was much better, I told him I lost the HP Restore CD, along with the Vista CD 1 of 2.

He told me he can send me one of the two operating system sets with a Restore CD.

I chose Vista and he told me he could and eventually asked his supervisor and was able to waive the 10-20 dollar shipping and handling fee (the billionaires want an extra 20), and that a CD set would be sent out and received in 2-3 Days.

Sucess! (When I get them).

Still, I will continue here, as I go, to try and find the device driver for the system I am running, just to see if I can do it, as I would like to have the experience. Thanks for the help, and this case is still open! Until she sings...

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't bother with the firmware.

You need to put the drivers on a folder on your XP machine - make sure you know which is which.

Right mouse click on my computer and select manage

When the computer management screen comes up select device manager

In the list there may be an entry that says Network adapters with an item under with a yellow indicator or more likely you have an entry that says unknown devies and a bunch of entries with question marks on them

One of the is the network card.

You need to double click the unknown device and select update driver and point it to your downloaded network driver then it should start working

I'll go and have a look at the hp site and see what the drive looks like sometimes they have an installer that you can run

is your machine the microtower or small form factor ??

Doesn't matter they're the same, apparently it's either an inte/ pro1000 or a Broadcom netxtreme gigabit, hopefully you downloaded both ??

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK

You should have downloaded SP47108.exe  (intel drivers) and SP45742 (broadcom drivers)

Run both of them and they will generate the driver installation packages in a folder called

C:\SWSETUP and there will be 2 subfolders with the SP names above

For the intel drives go to SP47108 and run IntInst.bat

For the broadcom drivers go to SP45742 and run BCMinst.bat

One will run succesfully and one wil fail, at the end you should have a working nic.

0 Likes