Windows 10 PC indicates connection to secondary router where there is no connection
patti_s
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the quantum router.  My PC is wired directly to the router.  MY PC does not have wirreless.  Also wired to the router is another router that I use for wireless.  When I am on the PC and check the internet connection box (Windows 10) it indicates I am hooked up via the secondary router.  I didn’t think much of it until the secondary router was shut off and I lost my connection.  Any idea how this occurs?  Does the Quantum router load share?  Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Windows 10 PC indicates connection to secondary router where there is no connection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

How is your secondary router connected, cabling wise? If the routing functions were not disabled, it's possible your secondary router is leaking routes/DHCP to your primary router, which will cause Internet connection problems.

Re: Windows 10 PC indicates connection to secondary router where there is no connection
jonjones1
Legend

@patti_s wrote:

I have the quantum router.  My PC is wired directly to the router.  MY PC does not have wirreless.  Also wired to the router is another router that I use for wireless.  When I am on the PC and check the internet connection box (Windows 10) it indicates I am hooked up via the secondary router.  I didn’t think much of it until the secondary router was shut off and I lost my connection.  Any idea how this occurs?  Does the Quantum router load share?  Thanks

The issue is with the wifi on the Quantum router versus having your secondary router on access point mode. It is advisable to disable the Quantum routers wifi and let your access point handle the ip assignments. So it would be like this.

ONT-RJ45 ethernet cable to wan port on Quantum Gateway-second router hooked into LAN port of Quantum Gateway out to wan port on the secondary access point router.

you would turn off wifi on Quantum Gateway and make sure wifi is turned on the secondary router.

the setup of course has other setups options if you have tv and phone in addition to internet

Good Luck