Windows 7, Wireless DNS problem
hanee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an ipad, mac, 2 blackberries and a windos 7 laptop. Everything except the windows 7 computer can connect to the internet wirelessly except the win 7 laptop.

The win 7 laptop can connect using a cable.

It used to work but then in reset my router and upgraded to the latest firmware. I setup the SSID and the WEP password to be the same as before.

What happens it that i view connections, i can see my network, i click connect, enter my pasword, and then when prompted (work, home, public) i choose home. The status indicator in the tray shows 5 bars of connectivity. then in a couple of minutes it says no internet access.

when i run the diagnostic it says that the DNS server cannot be found. however, when i connect the cable, it locates the DNS and gives me an ip address.

I have tried rebooting the laptop and the router several times

0 Likes
Re: Windows 7, Wireless DNS problem
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Try giving the windows 7 wireless connection a static DNS and see if that works better.

Open the "network and sharing center"  and find the link that says "Change adaptor settings" and click it

In this window right click on the wireless icon and choose "properties". In the box that says "this device uses the following items" click once on "Internet protocol TCP/IP v4" and then click the "properties" button. In this window, toward the bottom you will see "use the following DNS server" put a dot on this and in the two fields enter

Prefered   = 4.2.2.1

Alternate  = 4.2.2.2

and then save those settings. You shouldnt need to reboot the computer but I would anyway. Then see how the connection works.

mcowen

I've been having the same problem on and off for 12 months now.  Brand new Lenovo Win 7 64-bit machine.  Every other device can connect normally.  Not only do the Win machines get into an endless loop of connecting to the network only to not find an internet connection, but they don't reconnect with a router reboot and/or laptop reboot.  After a few hours or days they sometimes fix themselves, only to have the same problem at a random time later.

Tried static IP.  Tried Verizon IHA.  Tried just about everything I can find on the net.  

0 Likes
mic510

I am having the same problem now. Network conflict IP addess issue. Just connected FiOS with a wired router with a wireless adapter built-in, and it ran fine for the first couple days.  But after putting the computer into sleep mode, the internet connection doesnt like to reconnect.  The first time this happened, it reconnected quickly after some manual intervention, but the next time computer was "sleep", and then waken up, there was no internet ever since.

Used Verizon In-Home Agent to no avail. Called Verizon Support who said they think the issue is software related or the issue is with my computer or possibly the router (but didnt think so). I rebooted computer and router several times. I changed ports and cables. Still no internet but the NIC looks fine and all the flashy lights I am supposed to see, I see just fine.

Verizon verified the connection looks good from their end so it must be on my end, but I have no idea where. Everything looks the same as when it was workign just fine, except for the "No internet access" icon now appearing and that IP Address Conflict error message popping up.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mic510 wrote:

I am having the same problem now. Network conflict IP addess issue. Just connected FiOS with a wired router with a wireless adapter built-in, and it ran fine for the first couple days.  But after putting the computer into sleep mode, the internet connection doesnt like to reconnect.  The first time this happened, it reconnected quickly after some manual intervention, but the next time computer was "sleep", and then waken up, there was no internet ever since.

This is a problem with your computer or other devices.   Many try and use the same IP they had before sleeping instead of checking first to see if they expired and then asking to renew the DHCP license first.  I don't know if their were ever fixes from Microsoft.  I know many other devices do not have a fix short of manually releasing the connection.  E.g my samsung blu-ray player does this wrong.

0 Likes
jchan_168

I am having the same problem.

Every wireless device in the house work except my Window 7 laptop.

It has the same problem as described from previous posting.

Could someone help ?

0 Likes