Wired Network - Mac to PC
BGil
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hi - I was hoping someone could help me setup a wired network from a Mac to a PC.  I have Fios directly connected to my Mac and was hoping to setup Printer / Folder sharing for any PC that I hardwire to my Mac.  The Verizon support site seems to have directions exclusively for PC Networking.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wired Network - Mac to PC
miguel_chavez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Easiest way to do this is 1) turn on printer sharing on your Mac and then 2) install Bonjour for Windows on your PC. It'll automatically see the printer on the Mac and configure it for your PC.

It's assumed that your printer on your Mac is all setup and prints fine from the Mac itself. It's also assumed that you have both your Mac and PC connected to the same router/switch and that both are getting on the internet just fine.

Step 1 you can just go to your finder, select the Help menu, select Mac Help and in the window the pops up, type 'Printer Sharing' and then follow the directions to turn on printer sharing on your Mac.  I'd spell it out for you here, but why bother when Apple has already done so? Smiley Wink

Step 2, you go to this page:  Bonjour for Windows

Download the file, install it on your pc, and then use the Printer Wizard link that it leaves on your desktop.

View solution in original post

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

I just need a little clarification. You said:  

(1)  help me setup a wired network from a Mac to a PC. 

(2)  I have Fios directly connected to my Mac and

(3)  was hoping to setup Printer / Folder sharing for any PC that I hardwire to my Mac. 

Are you indicating here that you are not using a router ?   

0 Likes
BGil
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hi - Sorry, yes I'm using a router (Verizon Actiontec MI424).  Thanks!
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
the only way I ever did it, although I believe there are other ways, is to use samba.    It takes some configuring, but it can be done
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
something called WINE comes to mind, too
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

oh, and network shares  and permissions for users who have access to the share and maybe even a user acount for the mac user on the windows machine...  I'd have to read up on it all again.

0 Likes
miguel_chavez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Easiest way to do this is 1) turn on printer sharing on your Mac and then 2) install Bonjour for Windows on your PC. It'll automatically see the printer on the Mac and configure it for your PC.

It's assumed that your printer on your Mac is all setup and prints fine from the Mac itself. It's also assumed that you have both your Mac and PC connected to the same router/switch and that both are getting on the internet just fine.

Step 1 you can just go to your finder, select the Help menu, select Mac Help and in the window the pops up, type 'Printer Sharing' and then follow the directions to turn on printer sharing on your Mac.  I'd spell it out for you here, but why bother when Apple has already done so? Smiley Wink

Step 2, you go to this page:  Bonjour for Windows

Download the file, install it on your pc, and then use the Printer Wizard link that it leaves on your desktop.

miguel_chavez
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just checked and the exact wording of the Help Topic in the Mac Help section is "Sharing your printers with other computers"

Ignore any of the other topics, they go off into other tangents.