Wired Network - Mac to PC

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Wired Network - Mac to PC

Message 1 of 8
(12,407 Views)
Hi - I was hoping someone could help me setup a wired network from a Mac to a PC.  I have Fios directly connected to my Mac and was hoping to setup Printer / Folder sharing for any PC that I hardwire to my Mac.  The Verizon support site seems to have directions exclusively for PC Networking.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Wired Network - Mac to PC

Message 7 of 8
(12,204 Views)

Easiest way to do this is 1) turn on printer sharing on your Mac and then 2) install Bonjour for Windows on your PC. It'll automatically see the printer on the Mac and configure it for your PC.

It's assumed that your printer on your Mac is all setup and prints fine from the Mac itself. It's also assumed that you have both your Mac and PC connected to the same router/switch and that both are getting on the internet just fine.

Step 1 you can just go to your finder, select the Help menu, select Mac Help and in the window the pops up, type 'Printer Sharing' and then follow the directions to turn on printer sharing on your Mac.  I'd spell it out for you here, but why bother when Apple has already done so? Smiley Wink

Step 2, you go to this page:  Bonjour for Windows

Download the file, install it on your pc, and then use the Printer Wizard link that it leaves on your desktop.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 2 of 8
(12,364 Views)

I just need a little clarification. You said:  

(1)  help me setup a wired network from a Mac to a PC. 

(2)  I have Fios directly connected to my Mac and

(3)  was hoping to setup Printer / Folder sharing for any PC that I hardwire to my Mac. 

Are you indicating here that you are not using a router ?   

cjacobs001
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 8
(12,358 Views)
Hi - Sorry, yes I'm using a router (Verizon Actiontec MI424).  Thanks!
Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 4 of 8
(12,334 Views)
the only way I ever did it, although I believe there are other ways, is to use samba.    It takes some configuring, but it can be done
cjacobs001
Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 5 of 8
(12,335 Views)
something called WINE comes to mind, too
cjacobs001
Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 6 of 8
(12,335 Views)

oh, and network shares  and permissions for users who have access to the share and maybe even a user acount for the mac user on the windows machine...  I'd have to read up on it all again.

cjacobs001
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 7 of 8
(12,205 Views)

Easiest way to do this is 1) turn on printer sharing on your Mac and then 2) install Bonjour for Windows on your PC. It'll automatically see the printer on the Mac and configure it for your PC.

It's assumed that your printer on your Mac is all setup and prints fine from the Mac itself. It's also assumed that you have both your Mac and PC connected to the same router/switch and that both are getting on the internet just fine.

Step 1 you can just go to your finder, select the Help menu, select Mac Help and in the window the pops up, type 'Printer Sharing' and then follow the directions to turn on printer sharing on your Mac.  I'd spell it out for you here, but why bother when Apple has already done so? Smiley Wink

Step 2, you go to this page:  Bonjour for Windows

Download the file, install it on your pc, and then use the Printer Wizard link that it leaves on your desktop.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 8 of 8
(12,202 Views)

I just checked and the exact wording of the Help Topic in the Mac Help section is "Sharing your printers with other computers"

Ignore any of the other topics, they go off into other tangents.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.