Wired Remote Desktop Connection Win 10 Pro No Longer Works with G3100
whitmark804

With parents and kids homebound I attempted to enhance our internet connectivity by upgrading our Verizon Fios G1100 router with the new G3100 unit.  From my home office where the router resides, I primarily work on my desktop and use the remote desktop connection to two closed laptops (all wired with Win 10 Pro) so I can use one set of keyboard, mouse, and monitors while the rest of the household uses the wireless connection.  This worked flawlessly with the G1100 for months and initially with the G3100 for the first few days until it didn't and started getting connection errors.

I was able to get to tech support in the router group and we went through the usual diagnostics including testing port forwarding to/from 3389 and DMZ Host to no avail.  Although the firmware listed on the back of the router was v 1.3.6.4, I could see that v 1.3.6.27 was actually installed.  The tech said I should call back when tech support reopens on Monday and request v 1.5.x.x that is better configured to handle remote desktop.  It is my understanding only tech support can push this new firmware and the self reboot will not do it.

In other weirdness, I noticed the router's confirmed MAC address ending in ":c6" was listed as ":c7" within Windows.  

I reinstalled the G1100 and the remote desktops connected immediately.  I'll report back the fix. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wired Remote Desktop Connection Win 10 Pro No Longer Works with G3100
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you plan to remote desktop from outside of your network? If not, you do not need to do port forwarding.

Have you verified that on all three computer, when connected to the G3100 that the network location is set to Home? Without being set to Home that can disable many internal network services in Windows to protect your computer from malicious activity (and yes this will change because you connected to any network that is different than the previous one).

Just changing the network location alone fixed this type of issue.

Try also looking it "Remote Desktop Stops Working with New Router" which may have more detailed information.

View solution in original post

whitmark804

After three calls to verizon's router support group and a replacement G3100, I can definitively say the firmware version 1.3.6.27, the latest available as of this date, does not support wired remote desktop connection.  But it was suggested the next release (1.5.x.x?) would address this issue.  Unfortunately, I'll be using my G1100 so I won't be able to monitor the availability of this firmware update.

Hopefully, someone will take notice and post a response here or elsewhere on the community forum.

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you plan to remote desktop from outside of your network? If not, you do not need to do port forwarding.

Have you verified that on all three computer, when connected to the G3100 that the network location is set to Home? Without being set to Home that can disable many internal network services in Windows to protect your computer from malicious activity (and yes this will change because you connected to any network that is different than the previous one).

Just changing the network location alone fixed this type of issue.

Try also looking it "Remote Desktop Stops Working with New Router" which may have more detailed information.