Wired ethernet drops frequently when I use a switch
dbalz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I started working from my basement, and have ONE cat5 cable going from the Fios Router through the floor to the basment.  I have a couple computers, so I used a switch to split the wired ethernet.

Now, frequently all wired connections fail.  And it's not just the computers connected to the switch, I have a media desktop upstairs that's connected directly to the router, and that will fail as well. The solution is to unplug the switch in the basement, and then the media desktop upstairs starts working again immediately.

The entire time this is going on, wireless works fine, and cable works fine.  When I power the switch on after about 10 minutes, every wired connected device works fine for about 2-3 days, then it happens again. 

It started happening with a "known-good" NETGEAR ProSAFE 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch. That netgear switch was about 8 years old, but works no problems at my job.

Regardless, I switched to a new switch (TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit), and same result.   The Trendnet was good for about 3 weeks, then same exact issue. Now it's happening close to every 2 days.

I spoke with Verizon and even had a tech out here, but obviously they were no help. They did get me to buy the latest & greatest router.  So the issue happened with the older Fios router and my older netgear switch. But the issue is still happening with the brand new Fios Router and brand new trendnet switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wired ethernet drops frequently when I use a switch
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are the IPS you list hard coded? Or are all set for dhcp? If hardcoded, what do you have set as subnet mask and default gateway? Plus others that are hardwired?

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

This is going to be a total hope it works answer. 

Many switches powered or not powered like to be placed in the #1 lan port on a router.

dont ask me why this is but in many repairs to my friends and relatives systems I have found this corrected the situation.

on my Netgear Router the #1 & #2 lan ports are the fastest. So try that first.

or you can use your own router and try the switch again just in case it’s a bad Verizon router.

hope it helps

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you have issues, what are you seeing?

Loss of Internet?

Can you ping other computers or your router when you have issues?

Is it possible one of the other computers has an invalid ip address and causing a conflict?

What if you hook up one of the computers that connects via switch to main rotuer directly and wait a few days? Any issues?

dbalz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, but because I'm a little OCD, I have always had the input as port 1 🙂

After it failed this morning, I actually reversed it & tried port 5 as the input now.

Thanks though!

0 Likes
dbalz
Enthusiast - Level 2

When the issue occurs EVERY wired connection fails (wifi is still fine). Even wired connections NOT through the switch. For example, I have a media center conputer connected directly to the routers. When this switch issues occurs even the media center computer fails.

When the issue occurs, NO, I can not ping any of the wired computers.

I don't think it's an invalid IP, the 2 connected to the switch are: 192.168.1.182 & 192.168.1.4.  But I think you are on the right path of troubleshooting (IP, NIC settings, etc.).  I saw an issue like this ONE time in my life at work about 15 years ago. Someone build a server & hard set the duplex settings at 100/half insted of 100/full or auto/auto and that ended up brining the entire office network down 🙂

Could it be a dynamic IP issue?  A DHCP issue? A subnet mask issue? I'm not a network guy, so kinda clueless about that stuff!

The one with IP 192.168.1.4 was connected directly to the router for 6 weeks with no issues.  The one with IP 192.168.1.182 was connected directly to the router for 3 days with no issues.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dbalzwrote:

Thanks, but because I'm a little OCD, I have always had the input as port 1 🙂

After it failed this morning, I actually reversed it & tried port 5 as the input now.

Thanks though!

Well like I said is was a guess. On my router not the WAN port, but the #1&#2 are rated as the faster lan ports. In fact my router has some sort of combo speed increase. Sort of like my old zoom telophonics dual modem blaster. 56kx2 of course only AOL had the ability of that shotgun device. But hopefully it works out.

jonjones1
Legend
dbalz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the input, but that was a totally different issue. His never worked, mine works fine for a couple days, then fails

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are the IPS you list hard coded? Or are all set for dhcp? If hardcoded, what do you have set as subnet mask and default gateway? Plus others that are hardwired?

KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had similar issues. Everything works fine and then goes down and then back up. etc.. . I think it's a voltage issue. The supplied voltage to the router goes up and down. Not sure of all the factors, but I would guess if there's a lot of traffic downstream from you, that might be a factor. I believe Verizon can up the voltage remotely. It might be worth a shot to have them try.

0 Likes